Stuart's GAABSA Build's.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's GAABSA Build's.

Post by Stuart »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:That Tunnan does look cool! Which kit is it?
Thanks Borg - It's this one:

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

portman wrote:Thanks Stik - it's a very nice build thus far. I need to decide on what marking to do,

the NMF version...

or the UN Camo job?

That Spit mk.VII is looking really sharp, you've done a nice job on that Merlin. Is it just the cowling fit that's the issue? If so could you not just leave them off and display the model with the Engine 'hanging out'?

One thing I will say though (sorry) is that IIRC the Spitfire mk.VI and VII had pressurised cockpits (with either a fixed canopy on the VI and Early VII or a Sliding Canopy on the later VII). As well as the sealing of the fore and aft bulkheads, they had no cockpit side doors – the fuselage sides were strengthened.
I could be wrong (and probably am), but if that sort of thing bothers you, you might want to do research it a bit – I’ll shut up now… :bag:
Is that UN paint job for real? If so, I kind of like that one. And thank you for the heads up on the cockpit door for the Mk.VII. I'll look into that detail. I have some decent references on the Spit family. No need to shut up at all, as I was planning on having the cockpit door and canopy hood open. And yes, so far, the fit of the cowl around the engine is the only real issue that I've run into that was not of my own making. I was planning to have one half the cowl on, and one half off. I do have the ICM RAF Figure set that I can do a scene with for this one once it is finished. And I just ordered the Tamiya 1/48 British Tilley light utility truck....
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That would look pretty cool Stik, with the cowling off and the ground crew.

I'm a bit undecided about the Tunnan, It is a cool camo scheme (and yes it is real - They sent a squadron to help fight a war in Africa somewhere), but I really like the NMF. :hmm:

In other news...

I've got the Matt coat on the Spitfire.

I used Humbrol Rattle can Acrylic matt. I've not had good results before but it worked this time.

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart that Spit looks real good! And yes I think that the Mk.VII in some kind of maintenance setting will look good when I get there one day...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

The Spitfire's done!

And work on the Tunnan continues - seam clean up next. I don't know why but I'm really not feeling this kit at the moment, I might stick it on the back burner for a while.

That's al folks!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

portman wrote:The Spitfire's done!

And work on the Tunnan continues - seam clean up next. I don't know why but I'm really not feeling this kit at the moment, I might stick it on the back burner for a while.

That's al folks!
ok so why is the spitfire pic cast with magenta, whilst the tunnan is white - even though they were taken 2 minutes of each other with the same settings.... :hmm:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The Spit looks good! The Tunan should be fine once all done. As far as the color difference on the background, I suppose that the camera is keying off of the camo scheme on the Spit, probably the Dark Earth, while the neutral gray plastic of the Tunan does not effect that.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:The Spit looks good! The Tunan should be fine once all done. As far as the color difference on the background, I suppose that the camera is keying off of the camo scheme on the Spit, probably the Dark Earth, while the neutral gray plastic of the Tunan does not effect that.
Thanks Stik - I think you're right, it'll look good when done.

:hmm: I think you might be right about the WB - I set up the custom on the Tunnan as I photographed that first...

...I'll have another go tomorrow. What I'm aiming for is to get it right in camera as I have no editing software. I could take it in RAW I suppose and then sort it, but that takes longer.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stikpusher wrote:

One thing I will say though (sorry) is that IIRC the Spitfire mk.VI and VII had pressurised cockpits (with either a fixed canopy on the VI and Early VII or a Sliding Canopy on the later VII). As well as the sealing of the fore and aft bulkheads, they had no cockpit side doors – the fuselage sides were strengthened.
I could be wrong (and probably am), but if that sort of thing bothers you, you might want to do research it a bit – I’ll shut up now… :bag:

You are absolutely correct sir! Thank you Stuart!

Found these photos for confirmation.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's cool Stik - I'm glad you confirmed it! So are you going to leave it as is or close the door up?

It does kind of make you wonder why ICM left the door in in the first place - research? :hmm:

Return to “Go Ahead You Styreniac, Build Something...Already”