Stuart's GAABSA Build's.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's GAABSA Build's.

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:That is looking very nice so far Stuart! Does the kit come with the Douglas Bader decals?
It does indeed Stik - It's the 'Douglas Bader' gift set Airfix released not long after the Hornby takeover.

It's basically the pre-Hornby Spitfire mk.V kit with the mk.I wings. It's not a bad kit at all other than the windscreen.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking good. This will be fun to watch.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice! I had the old Mk.V but gave it to my son to build. He started it but never finished it. I later picked up the Seafire that was based off the Mk.V kit with a new set of wings and a sprue of other parts not in the original boxings. One day I'll get that one built. I also have the Revell Mk.II that has the Bader markings from November 1940... yeah I do like Spitfires. Who doesn't?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Nice! I had the old Mk.V but gave it to my son to build. He started it but never finished it. I later picked up the Seafire that was based off the Mk.V kit with a new set of wings and a sprue of other parts not in the original boxings. One day I'll get that one built. I also have the Revell Mk.II that has the Bader markings from November 1940... yeah I do like Spitfires. Who doesn't?
Those old kits were nice Stik - The only issue I can see is the windscreen angle - and I think they might be more buildable than the new tool kits in some respects.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes indeed about the buildability Stuart. That's why I gave it to my son. Along with the Revell Mk.II, the ARII/Otaki Mk.VIII, and the Monogram Mk.IX in 1/48, they are ideal kits for the novice modeler. I have built the Academy Mk.XIVc and am building the ICM Mk. VII, which is currently sidelined. The Academy Spit is a beauty, but is definately not entry level. And the ICM Spits... gorgeous kits, but with all the options and the engine up front is definitely for the experienced modeler. Not merely a builder but trying to get the cowl to fit around that engine requires modifications. That is what stalled mine.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Yes indeed about the buildability Stuart. That's why I gave it to my son. Along with the Revell Mk.II, the ARII/Otaki Mk.VIII, and the Monogram Mk.IX in 1/48, they are ideal kits for the novice modeler. I have built the Academy Mk.XIVc and am building the ICM Mk. VII, which is currently sidelined. The Academy Spit is a beauty, but is definately not entry level. And the ICM Spits... gorgeous kits, but with all the options and the engine up front is definitely for the experienced modeler. Not merely a builder but trying to get the cowl to fit around that engine requires modifications. That is what stalled mine.
I've not seen the ICM kit, but most kits where the engine is exposed I hear wonderful things about :bag: I hope to see it on the bench again Stik (one day).

I've got one of those Academy kits too - the Bubble-top clipped wing version. It does indeed look lovely.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I've been working on the Tunnan off and on over the past month - five minutes here and there. I've got the cockpit complete (along with very bad scratch-built belts and stick - actually they look worse in the pics) and jetpipe fitted. I'm just working on the intake and then I can close it up.

This kit is awesome - I'm really enjoying it. The fit is superb!

Glueing the cockpit in with the intake dryfitted...

REALLY good fit!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the fuse together and then I can start on the wings. The intake will need a little tidying on the seams, but I am able to fit it at a later date.

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

portman wrote:
I've not seen the ICM kit, but most kits where the engine is exposed I hear wonderful things about :bag: I hope to see it on the bench again Stik (one day).

I've got one of those Academy kits too - the Bubble-top clipped wing version. It does indeed look lovely.
I have that Academy Mk. XIVe in my stash as well. The only real gig for the Academy Spitfires that I can think of is the shape of the spinner. Otherwise they are gorgeous!

Here is my ICM Mk. VII at last progress from a few years back...

One day soon I'll get it back up front on the bench.

Nice progress on your Tunan. That will look sharp once you get it all built up.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Stik - it's a very nice build thus far. I need to decide on what marking to do,

the NMF version...

or the UN Camo job?

That Spit mk.VII is looking really sharp, you've done a nice job on that Merlin. Is it just the cowling fit that's the issue? If so could you not just leave them off and display the model with the Engine 'hanging out'?

One thing I will say though (sorry) is that IIRC the Spitfire mk.VI and VII had pressurised cockpits (with either a fixed canopy on the VI and Early VII or a Sliding Canopy on the later VII). As well as the sealing of the fore and aft bulkheads, they had no cockpit side doors – the fuselage sides were strengthened.
I could be wrong (and probably am), but if that sort of thing bothers you, you might want to do research it a bit – I’ll shut up now… :bag:

BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That Tunnan does look cool! Which kit is it?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Go Ahead You Styreniac, Build Something...Already”