1/72 Scale Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat Dual Kit Review

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Scale Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat Dual Kit Review

Post by Stuart »

Fantastic looking builds Mark - It's really interesting to see the differences between the low and high viz schemes.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Carlos, preach it man! I feel the same way!

Thanks Bruce! Yeah, time is a shrinking commodity these days. Lately, I have had some extra time and I think I'll be able to get back to the bench, but then I get a call to help someone out again....

Thanks Joe! Yeah, it is such a pain to put them all on too; especially some of the smaller ones in 1/72 scale. Sometimes I think they are a smudge and end up painting over them. usually don't even add them to the underside of the plane; nobody will really see them anyway.

Thanks Stuart! Yeah, I do like these comparison builds.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, it has been quite some time since I've had the chance to update this, much less build anything. With Comicon and the IPMS Nationals as well as other issues, I barely had any time to do anything until recently.

I started by removing all the Silly Putty from the wheel wells of both aircraft. I'm only showing one aircraft here:

Next I added the landing gear and wheels:

On the F-14B I also added the weapons pylons and targeting pod on the underside along with the landing gear:

Later I added the landing gear doors to both of these and set everything aside to dry while I went to work on the ordinance. As mentioned, these did not come in the kit but the instructions mentioned using their aftermarket weapons sets. I pulled out two sets I had, one air-to-air, one air-to ground. I started on the air-to-air weapons first:

The Sparrows and Sidewinders:

The Phoenixes:

After painting them up. I had a full weapons load out for the F-14A:

I had also pulled out the air-to-ground ordinance and chose four Mk 84 2000lb bombs for the F-14B. After painting them up, I had my load out ready:

Once these all went on the Tomcats, I was able to declare them finished:

This first one is the F-14A Tomcat from the Jolly Rogers:

Followed by the F-14B Tomcat, also from the Jolly Rogers:

Overall, I'd say these models were a challenge to build. Most parts went together well when it was only plastic. However, the use of the included photo-etch parts added a level of challenge that some may wish to pass up. Fortunately, attractive models can be built either with or without the photo-etch parts. Kudos to Hasegawa for giving modelers this choice. That being said; if they can add photo-etch parts to the kit; I see no reason that ordinance could also be included as most modelers wish to show their aircraft loaded for bear. Granted, they do mention using their aftermarket weapons sets, but that is an additional expense modelers shouldn't have to pay. I was fortunate that I had a number of sets already on hand so I was able to load my aircraft up.

The instructions need to be read with care. There are some significant differences between the -A model and the -B model and the instructions have a unique symbol for Version I (-A model) and Version II (-B model). Care must be taken to pay close attention to these symbols to insure an accurate build. Most of the steps have very adequate indicators to show how sub-assemblies are built and where parts are to go. they have extensive side diagrams showing alternate assembly options, but one place they fall down on is the proper way to attach ordinance. the drawings are vague at best; and in the case of Sparrows and bombs; nonexistent.

One of the biggest challenges to these models is the addition of the photo-etch parts inside the cockpit. The parts themselves are not 'cut' to fit on the side consoles properly and so need to be 'finessed'.

The parts themselves had a lot of flash; a lot more than I would have expected from a company like Hasegawa. Cleanup was easy, but there was a considerable amount for a modern release which one doesn't normally find.

Other issues I feel Hasegawa fell down on are the wings themselves. While the addition of added slats and flaps is excellent with great detail, I felt that having the wings glued in place is a letdown. If I am building a swing-wing aircraft, I'd like those wings to actually swing. I'm sure it is possible to make it happen on these kits but it would take expensive modifications that I was not willing to do on a review kit. I do like the inclusion of grommets that hold the horizontal tail surfaces in place allowing them to be positioned as desired.

Aside from all that, many parts of these models did assemble well. The decals were thin, in register and quite strong. They laid down well with minimal silvering if at all. Some of the larger decals did have some issues, but overall these were easily fixed with a decal solvent.

I commend Hasegawa for including the squadron patches for these two aircraft. This gives the modeler a great opportunity to make up an attractive display for these two models. I'd rate these models as 7 out of 10, mostly for the fit issues of the photo-etch parts.

That completes this long overdue review; my apologies for taking so long on this. My thanks goes to Lyle for the review kit.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Great reviews, Duke! Your detailed analysis is refreshing and necessary for a review. This is a kit that tempts me in 1/72 so your review is sincerely appreciated. Your thoughts on missing bomb load outs and PE makes me think that perhaps these were moves by Hasegawa to generate further interest and cash from this particular subject, I imagine a Tomcat is a strong seller in any scale, but is certainly popular in 1/72. How much time does a kit take to build?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Bruce. I have tried to give the best possible opinion I could on how well or how badly this kit was to do. I believe Hasegawa made separate weapons sets for two reasons: One, they get more money when someone has to buy a set for every one or two Hasegawa models they buy. Two: Many other companies make basic, poorly detailed weapons in their kits; almost as if the weapons were an afterthought. Hasegawa offers the extra sets to give modelers a more detail option to load out their aircraft with.

I did not measure the time it took to build these models, but overall I'd say they probably took from 60-75 hours of time to do both; mostly in the adjustments needed during the photo-etch detailing, test fitting and adjustments to parts, as well as the masking and painting overall. The A-10 by contrast took maybe 25-30 hours.

Thanks again for the great reply and compliments
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice review and builds! Hasegawa Tomcats are known for being over engineered, but you did great with them. Those are older molds too so that could account for the flash on parts.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Medic! I figured they probably were older molds. Still, they did build fairly well despite the flash. I could do without the over engineering though.

Thanks again for your excellent comments and compliments.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, it’s great to see that you finally got these two completed! Well done!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:Mark, it’s great to see that you finally got these two completed! Well done!

Agreed! And thank you. I was really getting annoyed that these were taking so long! I am so relieved to have finished these.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Two great builds and a great review Duke - thank you for taking the time. I really want t build mine now.

One question I do have though. Why are the small fore-planes out in the underside pic's and not in the upper shots? Did you fix them in? (I know they were secured in and then deleted on the actual Tomcat).
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Member Reviews”