Joe's Auto Garage-Coke Machine-10/25

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
mustang1989

Re: Joe's Auto Garage-Progress-01/19

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Carlos and Brent (and thanks for the dirty floor inspiration) . I'm looking forward to getting back under way with this as we're now back from the weekend Houston trip.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I caught up with this build over the weekend. There is always so much to see, so much to learn from the way you work. What you did with the floor reminded me of a saying an HO Scale train friend of my father’s said, “Gloss has Scale.” By effectively de-glossing the floor you scaled back its appearance, making the floor of a piece with the central elements... it’s so effective! And I keep waiting for a certain car to pull inside, to complete this. What are your plans? I was thinking back to my dad’s workshop—essential jacks and a winch as well as whatever he was building at the time: he wasn’t interested in “ground up restoration,” he preferred to keep as much as possible at factory set tolerances—but I could see the frame/suspension sitting center stage waiting a power plant swap.... so what are your intentions?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

The garage project is breathtaking amazing...

In theory that build can be a never-ending project.. You can always add some details, tools, dirt, oil, cars (!) what ever stuff and keep it truly alive!

Really cool!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Bruce: Thank you for your very kind words. I plan on resuming my Demon II F-100 build pretty soon so the in progress shots will more than likely take place in this shop.

Kari: Thank you as well and right you are about this project being never ending. Just gotta be careful not to add too much stuff. I've seen more than one garage dio that was ruined by over stuffing. :wink:

Well fellas I've spent the week working on the base garage and have made some satisfactory progress. For starters I installed the door into the opening but it didn't look right without the door trim around the opening so I cut some Evergreen into strips, painted and cleared 'em, installed them and weathered them some without going overboard. I'll be doing this with the window opening as well. I also put together an old Chevy Truck advertisement into a picture frame by taping the photo onto the back of some clear Evergreen styrene and then masking and painting a frame onto the front of it. Getting back to the door I dirtied it up a bit and threw a couple of performance decals on it just to give the shop some character. Door handle and lock were painted with a Molotow Chrome pen and installed.

Lastly, I decided to throw something oddball in. In my office is a file cabinet with a fishing advertisement sticker on the side of it and I thought :hmm: and decided I could throw it on the wall in between the shelves of my storage shelving that's going to go into that corner for a subtle addition to the shop.

Here's the sticker in my office:

Here's the shop after installing all of what I've talked about here this morning. Notice the sticker made into a decal on the wall as well.

KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Joe's Auto Garage-Progress-01/26

Post by KSaarni »

Man, the "Harbor Bait and Tackle" mini sticker copy is something absolutely definitely cool !!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Kari! I'm having a complete blast with this thing.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That rocks! I love the idea with the fishing sticker, that is a fantastic little saying. Someone was smart there! It does look fantastic up on the wall. Brilliant work Joe!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Am I the only one havin’ a hard time telling Joe’s reality shots from the miniature? Jeepers, Joe. Amazing.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks fellas. I thought that fishing sticker on the wall outside of a auto theme might jog things up a bit. Got a little more done and thought I'd have some fun today. The sign over the door made me laugh my ass off. Actually.................BOTH did. Look closely.

In the foreground are the Evergreen strips for the window trim. Gotta make some diagonal cuts in the ends in which to butt them together, prime and paint 'em up and get 'em on the wall still.

Stikpusher

Re: Joe's Auto Garage-A little more......01/27

Post by Stikpusher »

Now it’s definitely taking on a real garage personality!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”