Scruffy's GAABSA Builds

Scruffy
Advanced Member

Scruffy's GAABSA Builds

Post by Scruffy »

Ok, so finally have some time to build and pull stuff together for this. First up the new kit.....

Grabbed this kit while I was out running errands on Friday. I thought this would be a fun quick build while I had some time to myself this week. I haven't built one of the Bandai Star Wars kits, but heard they go together really nicely, so figured I could get through fairly quickly, and get something finished :grin:

This will be one of my SOD projects.......

This one has been laying around for almost two years waiting to be finished! I got it to the paint stage and didn't like how the paint came out, plus I knocked off one of the photo etched bollards, so I put it up. I tried to find some pics of it before, but if I took any they are lost to the cesspool that is Photobucket :DH:

So, anyway, last night (Saturday) I started the Tie Interceptor, and spent most of the time painting, getting ready to assemble it. So far, that is where most of the time has gone. I preshaded everything with Mr. Surfacer Black primer and then sprayed the inside of the crew capsule with Neutral Grey. A wash and drybrush later it was ready for the decals. The kit comes with typical waterslide decals, or vinyl stickers, which is cool, as we shall see!

Rear section of crew capsule.

Front halve of crew capsule.

Cockpit seat and control column assembly.

Froggy the pilot, the kit supplies decals for his helmet, makes him look like he has frog eyes :giggles: He was painted with the black Mr. Surfacer and his chest pack, helmet and boots brushed with Tamyia gloss. his uniform was drybrushed with a very dark grey. The hoses were done with Testors Rubber and the details on his chest pack picked out first with Aluminum Metalizer then Tamyia clear red, yellow and green.

The crew capsule hatch, the four lighter stripes are the clear areas of the hatch....I used the vinyl stickers in the kits as a mask, cutting off the sections I needed to mask the inside and out side of the clear areas.....way quicker and easier that using tape or BMF to mask them.

Once all these pieces were painted, decaled, and dry, assembling the pod took literally like 20 minutes :shoutout:

Cockpit in place, most of this detail will never be seen again

Only a couple of areas need putty, so this should be cleaned up and ready for paint tomorrow! Hope to have more soon..
Stikpusher

Re: Scruffy's GAABSA Builds

Post by Stikpusher »

Sweet!!!! This should be good...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The Tie Interceptor! I have a few photos:

credit: M. Tox

Your build looks spot on. There is far more detail in your version than in the actual model:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That TIE Interceptor does look good. They are hard to find over here because Revell has the European licence for Star Wars. Therefore there is no offical import of the Bandai kits. :Bat:
ImageImageImageImageImage
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well.... you can always ask one of us in the USA to send you a Bandia Star Wars kit.... :whistle: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Or try to order one from Asia. Darth Rodent has the Star Wars licensing here too in the USA. I'm very surprised that some of the Bandai Star Wars kits are now at Hobby Lobby.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

And pick one up with a 40% coupon to boot.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yup... happy days!

FLSM
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

That's exactly what I did. I was very surprised to find this and the 1/72 X Wing at Hobby Lobby the other day!
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

So, got a little more done on the Tie, side frames for the solar panels painted and glossed.

There is a ton of really nice detail on them, so gave them a wash of AK panel line wash for blue/black aircraft.

And after it dried, I cleaned the excess up with a Q Tip dipped in odorless thinner.

Next will be a drybrush of a lighter grey to really make the detail pop out.

Hopefully I will have some quality modeling time tomorrow to get more done on this; today is full of fun stuff; working on the family motor pool, then mowing the lawn :violin:

Return to “Go Ahead You Styreniac, Build Something...Already”