Orangecon 2017 by IPMS Orange County CA

list upcoming events, post pictures of events that have taken place.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Orangecon 2017 by IPMS Orange County CA

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, I'm a little late, but last weekend I attended and judged at my IPMS Orange County's annual Orangecon. We had 531 entries on the table; but far more models due to nine of those entries being collections. It's a good possibility that we had some 600 actual models on the tables.

Here are some of the pics from that day. Most of these are models that caught my interest the most.

Overall shots:

About half of the collections:

Most of the Sci-fi entries:

All our Trophies; the wooden ones were all made by the club:

Now for some of the models that most caught my eye:

Yes, that Nautilus is lit up!

Best Theme:

The following are 1/72 scale. These are why I don't place!

By the way, the six models behind this Abrams are my small scale armor entries. I had eight other entries in eight other categories.

I think that is all I can fit for now. My apologies on the size of some of these. Enjoy!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Re: Orangecon 2017 by IPMS Orange County CA

Post by Stikpusher »

Man that looks like it was a great show! I take it that the CH-47 won the Theme Award?

:popcorn:

More please!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

:that:

Including photos of your entries if possible!

:popcorn:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! It was a fantastic show! We had a little more than 100 models of armor and vehicles of all scales. Aircraft were the biggest group of entries. We had enough trophies for 13 splits and used them all! Sci-Fi and autos were also heavily represented. Five entries were placed in the Gaming Miniatures category too.

The CH-47 did indeed take the Theme Award and Kieth Mundt took Best of Show again for his He-163 Volksjager which had a complete and fully exposed engine. I didn't get the chance to take a pic of it though. Some one will have it on the IPMS Orange County website. That engine was so detailed you could fire it up and let it run! Stunningly masterful work!

I'll see if I can get more pics loaded tomorrow.

My apologies Bruce but I didn't take any pics of my entries. Everyone always sees them here in these boards anyway. I can post pics of what I entered but not sitting on the contest tables. I had 14 entries in this Orangecon. The only time I take pics of my entries is when I place; then I'll shoot a pic of the model with the trophy it took. None of that happened this time. I scored in the vendor room and raffle table though! :yahoo:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I know the Volksjäger that won Judges choice. It beat my F-86 in July at the Chapter contest. It was very nice indeed. Who built the CH-47? And how many entries in total for the contest?

I’m looking forward to more photos when you can post them Mark.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:I know the Volksjäger that won Judges choice. It beat my F-86 in July at the Chapter contest. It was very nice indeed. Who built the CH-47? And how many entries in total for the contest?

I’m looking forward to more photos when you can post them Mark.
I can't remember the name of the guy who built the CH-47. It should eventually be listed on our IPMSOC website soon. Total entries for the contest were 132 modelers with 531 entries. There were five collaborative efforts (Models built by more than one person) and nine or ten Collections entries. Seven entries were placed in the Wargame Miniatures category. In total, there were probably very close to 600 actual models on the tables

Here's a few more pics from Orangecon:

That's another batch for your perusal. Enjoy!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for the extra round of photos, Sir Duke.

Wowee!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice stuff Mark! How many of the AMPS T-55 GB showed up?

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Bruce! I thought of you when I posted that one. I do believe that is the instrument panel to an Me-109, but I'm not sure.

Carlos I believe 10 T-55's showed up, including Luis' SA-2 on the T-55 chassis. He took a First with that I believe. It sure made judging tough (I judged 1/35th scale armor) but we were able to split the category well: Soviet-made equipment and Western-made equipment.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Looks like a great show! Two questions though.

One, what lit is that SHIELD Heli-carrier? Two, what scale are those two Ospreys?
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Shows and contests”