The Duke's Helicopter Group Build

Stikpusher

Re: The Duke's Helicopter Group Build

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:Thanks Carlos! Yeah, I saw that in the instruction sheet. The one I want to do is in the Field Green with a black tail. It was used to rescue someone under fire. I gotta read up on that action; but the instruction sheet gives the scheme for that one.

Stay tuned, more to come.
That sounds like an incident that occurred during the Grenada invasion. That was the only combat action of Sea Cobras in that paint scheme. A couple were shot down by AAA during the opening morning, one over the water and one over land. There was some kind of rescue done for the downed survivors, but I don’t recall the details.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That's interesting because if I recall correctly, the instruction sheet clearly stated this happened in the 'Nam. Now I gotta go back and read this! I'll see if I can post here whatever I find later today.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Cobras did lots of rescues in Vietnam. I have read of quite a few. But those were all G models if I am not mistaken. I don’t think that the J arrived into service before the US withdrawal after the 1972 fighting.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hey Duke, i eliminated some bad photo links. I don’t know if I got all of them, though.

This may help you and Carlos determine the helicopter rescue; there are decals for four birds:

• AH-1G 68-17108, VT-26 HMA-367 Scarface, USMC, Vietnam 1969-70
    AH-1G 68-15194, US Navy Test Pilot School, NAS Jacksonville 1974 in midnight blue scheme
    AH-1G 68-15045, ex USMC HMA-773 assigned to US Navy Test Pilot School, NAS Patuxent River ‘75
    AH-1G 68-17105, HMA-169 (VMO-2), USMC Camp Pendleton, California, ‘72
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I found my instruction sheet where it describes the version I'm doing. In this kit the above decal versions listed by Bruce are offered. The one I'm doing is Scarface, used in 1969-1970 where, on December 28th; Capt Roger Henry and Lt. Dave Cummings saved a dying Marine from a peak in the Que Son mountains because the CH-46 Medevac couldn't get in due to the weather.

And it is a -G Model Cobra. I just finished getting the paint done right so hopefully soon I'll be able to shoot a gloss and apply the decals.

The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Great story Mark! I’m looking forward to seeing this snake done!

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! I hope to start decaling this soon.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

It's looking great Duke. Looks like you got the canopy together without too many problems.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Medic! I was able to get that canopy in place pretty well. I'm grateful for that. Now if I can only get it finished.

I have an idea for making the main rotor turn. It won't be the most accurate, but by golly, I'm gonna make it turn!

The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, here's a small update on this helicopter that is slowly making it;s way though the assembly line....

I went back to fix this Marine Cobra... again. I first shot black on the tail, then masked it off:

Later I shot the medium green on this:

Now it is finally looking like it is ready for decals:

It ain't much but progress is progress. Maybe someday I'll be able to call it done...

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Whirlychopters”