The Duke's Helicopter Group Build

Stikpusher

Re: The Duke's Helicopter Group Build

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, you’re getting close to the finish line on this one.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! I do hope I can finish it soon!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well it's been awhile since I posted here. After a number of repairs of broken parts and a couple coats of clear to make this glossy enough, I finally got the decals on it. This helicopter had a total of six (6!) decals just on the nose. These were the first three that I added:

You can see where I had to punch the guns through the bottom one. The next two decals then went on over these:

Finally, the last decal was added to the top of the nose:

I went on to complete the decals for this helicopter, but apparently forgot to take the pics of the fully decaled bird. Next update.....

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BsYamato
Addicted Member

Post by BsYamato »

Nicely done despite cuved surfacies :shoutout:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! Very nice work on those decals. :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks guys! I am thrilled to have finished that nose! Now to seal them in so I don't have further issues.

Thanks again, your compliments are most appreciated.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The Cobra is looking great Mark! That nose art is sweet!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! It was quite the challenge to put on. I really have to watch out for any more Special Hobby kits!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, I can’t say that I’ve ever heard anything saying that those were easy kits...

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, it has been quite some time since I've had the chance to update this, much less build anything. With Comicon and the IPMS Nationals as well as other issues, I barely had any time to do anything until recently.

The first thing I did was to try and finish this helicopter. When I picked it up to put the final parts on (weapons load) everything started to fall apart once again! See here:

What you don't see is one of the skids also came off, but I'd already glued it back on. Then all these parts came off as I was putting the last weapon pod on. The main rotor broke and the main disk that holds it to the fuselage disappeared. So, I used an old T-34 idler wheel to replace it. It was the right size and so I sanded the bevel into it before drilling it out. Here it is partially sanded, showing the bevel I was adding:

Here is the beveled hole it is supposed to go into:

Needless to say, I got it repaired, added all the weapons pods to this and now it is finished.

Finally, here is my Special Hobby 1/72 scale AH-1G Marine Cobra from Vietnam. This was one tough build as it was so delicate everywhere! I finally got this finished:

Thanks for all the great comments, support and motivation here. I think this was the first Group Build I finished here on SPAM. Thanks also for looking in, comments are always welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Whirlychopters”