1/72 Cloud City Cloudcar

Scruffy
Advanced Member

1/72 Cloud City Cloudcar

Post by Scruffy »

Alrighty then, since we have an extension, I will throw this into the fray as well :grin: I have wanted one of these for a while and found an Ebay seller that had some here in the U.S., so last week one arrived at my asylum, er workshop :giggles:
The kit is made by RetoKit from France I believe, as part of their RetroSF range.

The kit consists of twenty odd parts decently cast in resin, with the option of having the landing gear up or down.

And the instructions....

They should be adequate to put all the pieces together correctly. The only down side for me is the canopy is molded as an open frame like the studio models, I however want glass in mine, so I am running a test to see if Krystal Kleer will work in the openings...... if it does, great, if not then on to plan B :whistle:
speedgraflex

Re: 1/72 Cloud City Cloudcar

Post by speedgraflex »

The Force is with you! I was just chatting with Roberto Aquilera earlier about his weathering technique. He built one of the best Bespin Motors Storm IV CCs I have seen in studio scale. I usually would never post a model of a model but in this case, yes. I am.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Thank you Bruce. The model and pictures are excellent and will be a huge help when I get to the painting stage with mine.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Scruffy wrote:Thank you Bruce. The model and pictures are excellent and will be a huge help when I get to the painting stage with mine.
You are most welcome. If there is anything else, please ask. Don't hesitate. If you want my two cents, that is. I was thinking about your idea to use Krystal Kleer to glaze the cockpit canopy frames. I would consider using a very thin piece of clear plastic or polyester film, cutting a strip the right height and measure the entire width all the way around the interior so you are only making one long window strip that is tacked in multiple locations, then use whatever glue gives you the just the right amount of time to glue from pillar to pillar. This is similar to the way ILM treated their X-Wing canopies in " A New Hope." They didn't use hard plastic; they used soft smoked gels cut and tacked OVER the pillars of the canopies. You can see the effect here:

Light gels were easily available and offered a way to dial down the light and surface reflections. What I was thinking would be to do something similar but do so in the interior of the canopy because it would be neater and more realistic. You notice how ILM had to paint over the canopy pillars on top of the pillars with light blue-gray paint....

I am excited. Good luck!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

Woah!? Double post??

... Stop it phone
Last edited by CallSignOWL on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

Hehe, looks like a drop tank with a dude in it!
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

CallSignOWL wrote:Hehe, looks like a drop tank with a dude in it!
He he two drop tanks, two dudes, and a Kyromaster Ion Engine in between, neat little ride :lol: :lol:
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Bruce, thanks again for your suggestions, great ideas! I don't mind your 2 cents at all, I'll take all I can get.
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

I got the two cars together last night, next will be drilling holes in the sides and in the engine unit for brass wire pins to provide a stronger attachment to each other.
But first I must clean and organize my corner of the craft room to maintain domestic tranquility. :DH:

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That looks like a cool build - easy one at that too!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017”