Academy T-34-85 Korea War Vignette 1/35 scale

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Re: Academy T-34-85 Korea War Vignette 1/35 scale

Post by dmminiatures »

Hi Mostrich - Glad to contribute and happy that my post is useful. I love wrecks and abandoned vehicles! I don't know why but its just so alluring. I think its the opportunity to try a new technique, materials. I like to try out a real wreck that shows part the interior and broken armor. one day!

Looking forward to see your abandoned Panther!
mostrich wrote:Monty, thank you so much for posting this wip. I'm abolutely enjoying it.
I purchased Meng's new Panther last week and I'm planning to do a "abandoned at the side of the road"-diorama.
Looking for one of the Panther books from the Panzer Wreck series at the moment.

Watching intensely! :writing:
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Dry fitting the T-34 onto the Base
This is the moment I dry fitted the T-34 onto the base. I dry fitted everything and kept reviewing all the potential risks. I can't afford a mistake on the next stage. once mud paste covering the T-34's road wheels hardens then the die has been cast.

Dryfitting the T-34 onto the base. Double check on everything to minimize any potential risks.

Once satisfied, I made new batch of mud paste and poured it in, covering almost everything to the rim of the tracks. It was also the moment I dry fitted the extra broken tracks from MiniArt.
Last edited by dmminiatures on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monty / dmminiatures
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

:shoutout: :yikes: :shoutout:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Burnt Road Wheels' Detail
One unique character of burnt out T-34 road wheels is when the rubber is gone, what is left is the metal wheel with equally spaced lines running down the area where the rubber pads were once there.

You might be able to faintly see the lines on the no. 3 road wheel

Here too, but very faintly.

This clearly shows the neatly spaced lines running down the area where the rubber pads were once there.

Fishing Line
Ideally, a resin road wheel without the rubber pads. That would be expensive for me. So I opted the 'poor-man' approach by using fine fishing line.

I bought this roll of fishing line for like US$ 1.5 dollars. The nylon thread reacted extremely well with CA glue and cut easily with a sharp cutter. All I had to do was to wrap them around the wheel and kept the spacing consistent.

I wont be able to make an accurate copy, but at least I could make an impression.

From a different angle. I didnt worry too much about the imperfection as I will later add debris to cover up the flaws.
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Securing the Tank
Time to fix the tank once and for all. My method was squirting a ton of CA glue in the area under the track. I made sure that the T-34 was resting on a clear bed of Styrofoam. the model needs to be firmly in place, no pebble, or rock or something that can make the model wobbly.

Typical of burnt out tanks is the appearance of debris surrounding them. From blackened items that may be part of the ground or the tank to light grey ash.

I used fine soil, Italian cooking herbs and dried tea leaves that I tinted in black to represent the blackened charcoal item. they were put in place first and then I sprayed diluted white glue (remember the small spray bottle?)

On the other side, I made a new batch of soil mix using the same material as when i worked on the road. Not quite mud, but soft soil as if they were just unearthed.

It was important to create a visual appearance that makes sense. As the T-34 moves and slides away to its final resting place, the tank weights and moving track pushed earth materials onto the sides.
Monty / dmminiatures
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man this is looking great! Just about everything is looking just right so far.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:yikes: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Thanks a bunch Kari, Stikpusher and BlackSheep. Progressing!
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

The Story of The Figures
A vignette without figures? Hmm.. I think you can do that, but I also think that adding figures would improve the visual interest of the whole display, don't you think? Well, it all depends on the message we want to convey to the audience. The earliest story that I thought about was
A US marine guards a knocked-out tank
I thought that was a poor use of space and quite boring. So after looking at more reference photos, I added to the story:
Several US Marines were inspecting a knocked-out tank while a guard stands by
As I was looking for the figures, I realized that I would be using only 1-2 figures out of a total 4-5 in the box. that would be such as waste! So I then elaborated the story so that can maximize the use of the figures in each box. The story became:
Two men and a war dog came back from a routine patrol when they met several US Marines inspecting a knocked-out tank
After some discussion with fellow modelers, one of them suggested about the role of soldiers who are part of so-called film and photographic units that documents the battlefield. I further elaborated the story:
Two men and a war dog came back from a routine patrol when they met several US Marines, including a person from the film and photographic unit, inspecting a knocked-out tank
US Army versus US Marine Figures
The whole reason I went for US Marine figures to outfit my vignette was because I might have mistakenly interpreted a picture of a destroyed tank with a guard detail as a Marine - and not someone from the Army.

With that being said, I want forward to look for figure kits that would represent USMC in Korea. I found Dragon, MiniArt and MasterBox kits offers late WW2 USMC figures in action in the Pacific. For some reason I was not able to get the Dragon so I opted for the latter two.

Historically speaking, I don't think the Marines used Dobermans in Korea, but a different type (I am poor with remembering animal names!) but I hope this would do.

I am not really that good on figures. I would to have the skills of modifying the poses but to date, I could only go so far as to modify the hands, arms, and legs, but nothing more beyond that.
Monty / dmminiatures

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”