The SPAM Israeli Defence/Air Force Mini GB

Member created Group Builds
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: The SPAM Israeli Defence/Air Force Mini GB

Post by Stuart »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Image

Isrealis had Bf-109s?? That aircraft certainly has all the features of a Messerschmitt. I agree the box art is really cool. I do like Bruce's idea of a wall mount. Interesting way to display it. Tell me more how to go about making that mount.
They did indeed...sort of.

The Avia S-199 was built in Czechoslovakia after the war. Basically, after the fall of Germany the Czechs found themselves with a lot of Bf109G air-frames they'd had in production for the Luftwaffe - but with no engines. However they also manufactured engines and propellers for the JU-88 (I think) and so decided to mate one with the other - and the S-199 was born.

It was not a brilliant success as it was heavier than a standard G model, and had less power, and made the difficult landings even worse. However in 1948 the Israeli's were desperate for fighting aircraft and this was the first they could get - via the backdoor past all of the arms blockades on them.

It may have been a bad aircraft, but it did the job until they could replace it with something else. I do find it rather ironic that an aircraft designed and built for the Nazi's should help found the Jewish state of Israel.

Here's the wikipedia link... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_S-199

It's coming along nicely - the cockpit is being painted up and the wings are together.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The Avia was one of those ironic stories of the early IDF. The IDF also used large quantities of German designed small arms such as the Mauser 98k. I don’t know the source of such weapons, but I suspect also from the Czechs. I suppose that when you’re fighting for your existence, the origin source of weapons and munitions is far less important than having weapons to survive and succeed. Necessity outweighs and resentments. Business is business.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I fully agree Stik - I think it was a case of they could take what they could get. They certainly put it to good use.

A lot of IDF/AF arms procurement is really interesting with some great stories. How they got the plans for the Mirage V and actually build some is a great yarn.

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, my turn....

Here is my Israeli F-16I Sufa that I'm doing for this Group Build.

Of course, I started with the cockpit. It was fairly un-detailed, but I'll have decal instrument panels and pilots inside so....

Next I assembled the air intake:

Once that was dry, I installed it on the lower fuselage:

While looking for more sub-assemblies to do, I found the dorsal hump and built that. There are still a few detail parts to add to this though before it is done:

Here it is dry-fit to the upper fuselage for now:

That was as far as I went on that for now. I'm hoping to get more done in the next week or so. Until then, comments are welcome; thanks for looking in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hi—looks great, Duke! I wanted to back up to answer BlackSheep, if he was asking how to build a mount for the model—I would use ND magnets. Small, round, powerful! The upper dome of the Aries model locks into the lower surface by a series of NDs embedded in the interior ring of the sphere! It’s a most effective way to attach surface details. For example in the much larger 1/48 Aries I will add the landing gear shrouds using NDs.

The scale of Stuart’s model reminded me of my brief but deep fascination with the Fine Molds 109 which I still think is a great representation in 1/72. Adding a magnet to the keel would in effect create a flight mode. Heck if all else fails with Matt’s wood base, I’ll add NDs for the final clinch of the 1/32 Mustang!

Here’s a vertical example in 1/48. Reorient the base to the wall and that would be the idea.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great to see you've made a start Mark - I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

That's an interesting idea Bruce to be sure. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the Avia at present as it's not the most inspiring of kits :bag:

That photo brings up an issue I have with in flight models (and I've built lots). That's a great looking Defiant - but completely ruined by that god awful prop-blur - Yuck - props in flight just don't look like that.

To be fair it's not an easy effect to pull off, and at least he tried - static props look the worst!

These days I just prefer to remove the blades all together - it works pretty good from a few feet.

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Hi Stuart,
I'm in with a 1/72 Hase Sufa.
I'll start on it as soon as I can get the paints together.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

portman wrote: That photo brings up an issue I have with in flight models (and I've built lots). That's a great looking Defiant - but completely ruined by that god awful prop-blur - Yuck - props in flight just don't look like that.

To be fair it's not an easy effect to pull off, and at least he tried - static props look the worst!

These days I just prefer to remove the blades all together - it works pretty good from a few feet.
Yeah that's my problem
or
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Modelcrazy wrote:Hi Stuart,
I'm in with a 1/72 Hase Sufa.
I'll start on it as soon as I can get the paints together.
Cool! I have mine almost fully built. I just need to finish masking the canopy and then I can shoot paint.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours. I don't know what I could enter for this.... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, this site has lots of subjects and references for everything IDF....

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=israf; ... dex%2Ehtml
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member Group Builds”