1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales

Post by Modelcrazy »

I started the 1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales. My intent is to place her in a seascape during the sea battle off Malaya just before the crippling torpedo that hit her port screw. I have been doing extensive research on the topic and have come up a game plan. The POW will be evading air dropped torpedoes in a port turn at 25 kts just before the strike. To do her justice, I purchased the Eduard Big Ed set, metal barrels, Hunter wood deck and a coat of arms to go with the nameplate. I intend to show her at upcoming contests and hope it is worthy of some awards.
Working on the Swordfish and POW at the same time allows me to take a small break from either and enjoy the other.

I found a recent (circa 2012-16) 80 page report regarding the sinking and using that, I have written a short history depicting the dio which I plan on displaying when I show it.

The loss of the Prince of Wales

On Dec 8th, 1941 (Dec 7th Hawaii time) Force Z consisting of HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Repulse and accompanied by the destroyers Electra, Express, Vampire and Tenedos, sortied from Singapore to attack a reported Japanese landing force north at Kota Bharu on Dec 10th. Force Z was shadowed by Japanese observation planes during the late afternoon of Dec 9th and since surprise seemed impossible, Force Z turned to return to Singapore around 2000 hours. Unaware, Force Z was also spotted by a Japanese Submarine that day and as a result the Japanese transports had been moved north to safety. Shortly before midnight, Force Z received another report of a Japanese landing at Kuantan, which is on the Malayan coast nearer Singapore, and set course for there. Upon arriving off Kuantan on the morning of Dec 10th, the British fleet did not find a Japanese landing force. After investigating a tug towing several barges nearby, Force Z set course for Singapore once again. Shortly afterward, Force Z was sighted and attacked by a force of Japanese twin engine G3M Nell and G4M Betty Bombers armed with bombs and torpedoes.
1113 hours, HMS Repulse was the first to be attacked with eight 250-Kg bombs, one striking and exploding amidships.
1141 hours, another attack commenced on the port side of the HMS Price of Wales with nine bombers carrying type 91 aerial torpedoes. The aircraft made their initial approach at a speed of 150 to 180kts at an altitude of around 180 feet (55 meters). The torpedoes were set to a depth of 12 to 20 feet (4 to 6 meters). Eight of these planes attacked the Prince of Wales while one peeled off to attack the Repulse. The Prince of Wales began a slow turn to port while at a speed of 25kts to comb the wakes, but before the maneuver could be completed, eight torpedoes were released at a height of 100 to 115 feet (30 to 5 meters) and at a distance of 1970 to 4920 feet (600 to 1500 meters) from the ship.
1144 hours the Prince of Wales avoided seven torpedoes however one impacted port aft, severally damaging and bending the port propeller shaft, breaking the shaft struts while debris from the impact severally damaged the port center propeller blade. The bent port shaft failed and broke at several flanges due to severe vibration. This took several minutes as Lt Wildish, in command of boiler room B, which drove the port shaft, did not have any idea to the extent of the damage due to the loss of communications caused by the torpedo explosion. Because of the forward speed of 25kts, the shaft began to windmill despite the efforts of Lt Wildish to slow the shaft which put and immense strain on the flange bolts. Eventually, vibration caused by the damaged shaft, caused failures at several flanges which also critically damaged the stern shaft tube and several bulkheads allowing hundreds of gallons of sea water to fill the engine room’s bilges. Emergency pumps were started, and the space was abandoned, and watertight doors were sealed.

The loss of the port side shaft and center propeller severely limited the maneuverability of the ship which left her vulnerable to additional attacks.
1223 hours two torpedoes struck the starboard side. One at the bow and another stern further damaging the shafts and bending the outer shaft so far, the propeller wedged under the center starboard shaft.
1223 1/2 hours the last torpedo struck the starboard side under the compass platform. At this point the Prince of Wales was in serious trouble.
1241 hours she fell under attack again from eight high level bombers approaching from the port side. One 500Kg bomb hit the ship, six miss and one bomber failed to drop its bomb. Lights out.
1245 hours HMS Prince of Wales is listing 3 degrees to port and increasing.
1250 hours HMS Prince of Wales radios Singapore for tug assistance.
1300 hours destroyer Express comes along side to evacuate personal and receive the wounded.
1310 hours all shafts stop and the order to abandon ship was given.
1324 hours HMS Prince of Wales capsizes and sinks.
327 sailors were lost on the Prince of Wales, 513 off the Repulse. Nearly 1000 survivors were rescued from both ships.
On Dec 11th Lt Haruki Iki flew to the site of the battle, dropping two wreaths of flowers into the sea to honor combatants from both sides who had died in the battle. One was for the fellow members of his Kanoya Air Group, while the other was for the British sailors whose display of bravery in defense of the ships had gained them the utmost admiration from all pilots in his squadron.
The Prince of Wales rests upside down at the bottom of the South China Sea at a depth of 232 feet (68 meters) about 75 miles (120 kilometers) off the coast of Kuantan

I've done some experimentation on torpedo wakes and believe the larger wake on the left will work best.

Starting on the kit, I skipped the screws and rudder due to the waterscape and went straight to the deck. The Hunter deck I purchased is very thin and has great adhesive. It was less expensive than other manufacturers and as far as I can tell, just as accurate and nice. I'm going to approach the painting a little differently. I am going to paint and partially weather the hull prior to attaching the superstructure or PE to the deck. That way it will (should) lessen the chance if breaking off the PE and fiddly bits.

This is how she looked in Singapore. The paint got pretty beat up coming from England.

Last edited by Modelcrazy on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales "The beginning of the end"

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A recent issue of FSM magazine had an diorama article showing explosions upon torpedo impact on a naval ship. It also had multiple lines of other torpedo misses as well. It looked very well put together showing the ship listing/leaning a hard right.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great post with some really interesting info - I shall be looking forward to seeing the build come together.
Those torpedo trials you've mocked up look great.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Portman and BlackSheep.
Is that FSM issue SEP or Oct? I didn't see it in the Sep issue and hadn't received an Oct issue yet.
I wasn't going to show the explosion. I have done explosions in the past that looked good, there's just something about them that takes away from the rest of the build. I like the anticipation of the weapon just about to hit.

Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It might have been the August issue of FSM...

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Subscribed—the moment before crippling torpedo impact is a challenging subject to express, and your thoughts and approach to the creation of this are important. You are not merely describing the month/date/year in time, you describe the minutes themselves. Impressive idea.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I'm gonna have to head back to Barnes & Nobles to see if they still have that FSm issue on hand. A lot of times you will find a stray past issue. I should have picked it up when I first saw it. :headbang:

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you speedgraflex. I don't approach such a solemn event lightly and want to get my facts straight. It's a part of history and I like depicting actual events but I don't want to dishonor the sailors or airman who lost their lives.

Blacksheep, I started getting FSM again after a year or so of not subscribing. I can't justify the cost until they offer a price I can't refuse. I subscribed for 2 years for $36 total, or there abouts if I recall, so I started it up again. The first issue I started receiving again was July, so if it was August I missed it..

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow, this is gonna be cool. I love reading about naval battles in WW2.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Medicman,
I painted the base light grey, hull red and boot top black, now it's time for the camo which will take some work. It's a very complex pattern. The pattern isn't a problem but getting the correct colors are.
There just aren't good color pictures of the actual POW camo. The pictures I found are at a distance or at a bad angle, colorized or B&W. I can find plenty of artists and modeler's conceptions and ideas of what exact color it was but nothing definitive. I did find a website that covered all the colors used by the RN during WW2 and on which ships in Vallejo paints but the supposed colors don't really match what's commonly thought of. I guess I'll add myself to the list of artist conceptions. I know there are discussions regarding the camo on other forums but in the end, they can't be sure either.

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”