2001 : A Space Odyssey 1/80 Clavius Base Second Airlock.

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Stikpusher

Re: 2001 : A Space Odyssey 1/80 Clavius Base Second Airlock.

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, there is just a lot of great stuff to see here in this project. Your model, the concept that you are working to bring to reality, the original studio model for reference- both as it was being used during filming, and after reappearing out of long term “missing, presumed lost”.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, Carlos! I sincerely appreciate your words. I’m grateful. I don’t know what the tan spots are on the bottom of the engine molding, but I would hazard a guess these are from greased silicone moldings. What happened is conjecture, however my guess is that blobs of “mold release” with a distinct Hawaiian Tropic scent blobbed onto the bottom of the mold—embedded the cast part and were fixed in place by the resin. There are holes where the blobs are thickest so methinks this is the most likely scenario as the resin pours of the three other engines do not have this issue. The reason I wanted to see the baffle/thruster pieces on the engine besides being darned cool was to see if these areas were in load bearing areas, or on delicate moldings such as fuel tanks. Unfortunately there are blobs on one of these tanks. I think I should see if I am able to remove the mold release then fill with putty, but I am not sure.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Where there is a will, there is a way. Clean off the Hawaiian Tropic mold release agent... (funny how that scent brings back memories of carefree times, waves, friends, and certain young ladies... :hmm: )
Clean up and correct any molding imperfections, then move forward. Break it all down into bite size steps.... How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time... :giggles:

Apologies to any PETA folks who may see this...

No. Not really... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos—haha I was sitting through old X-Wing build threads and those marks are air bubbles surrounded by mold release agent which I will need to address by using a good filler. I am thinking I will give Milliput a try out. Any suggestions? A lot of resin folks use Bondo.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Moebius Models kits are on sale this weekend!

2001 Discovery; 2001 Orion!!!

http://culttvman.com/main/
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Great! Sales like this are always popping up when I'm flat broke and unable to work! Once I actually do make something with some spare to spend, they always dry up!

Have fun with that sale Bruce, I'm looking forward to seeing what you get from it.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

1/48 AJA ARIES 1B ENGINE

So. The molding process left this rather large stub. Any thoughts on the best way to remove it? I sent an email to Zona Saws asking for information about their razor and coping saws.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:1/48 AJA ARIES 1B ENGINE

So. The molding process left this rather large stub. Any thoughts on the best way to remove it? I sent an email to Zona Saws asking for information about their razor and coping saws.

MORE POWER!!! Argh argh argh.... :giggles:

I’d start with one of the sanding drums on the right to get rid of most of the stub, and then use a good old hand held sanding stick for the final work to make sure you don’t ding up the resin part.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Great points, Carlos! And also howdy Duke, I read what you wrote earlier about hitting up the sale, I was not able to due to trying to figure out what tools I need for this.

Carlos, yes, thanks for the important point about going too far. I was thinking about using the saw vertically to create sections to cut; smaller and more manageable pieces.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”