Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

Highlighting the aircraft during the interwar period between WW 1 and WW 2. Military and civillian. There are some great and colorful subjects and a number of air racers. Tuild one, Build them all!

Runs from July 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022

Carlos Cisneros (Stikpusher) and/or John Eaton (jeaton01) are moderators of this one.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Last night, I was reading the instruction guide for the wings and it clearly designates as FS 13538 Yellow. FS 13538 is Chrome Yellow. Hmmm....

I decided to do a color pallet sample using 3 different yellow shades. As you can see below, I did Model Master's Chrome Yellow FS 13538, Aeromaster's Finland I.D. Yellow FS 23538 and finally the usual standby, Model Master's Insignia Yellow FS 33538

Chrome Yellow seems too yellow, while Insignia Yellow and Aeromaster's Finland I.D. Yellow both are almost spot on. But... I wasn't quite sure which one is best. First, I opened up my paint4model download file and started looking at different shades of yellow using the FS numbers. Chrome Yellow FS 13538 is out. Too bright and yellow. Insignia Yellow FS 33538 is not even close - not even a tiny hint of orange in the yellow. No company carries FS 23538 except White Ensign's FS 23538 (which is is actually called Pre-War Chrome Yellow - the exact color as Aeromaster's Finland I.D. Yellow.) I referred to my other paint reference chart at Scale Model Paint Finder website. ( http://paintfinder.ehaltom.com/ )

After looking at various pictures and photos of multiple aircrafts with the pre-war yellow wings, I have made my decision to go with Findland ID Yellow FS 23538 because it looks more like shade they used. Now, I'm satisfied.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Great choice, and superb idea! Are you a member of Air Corps Library? With your interests, I bet you would be really happy there. I just received notice of the 1943 DuPont Aircraft color guide that they have scanned! I have not checked out what this means, but at minimum this will permit easier color matching on many aircraft projects. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Not a member of Air Corps Library. In fact, I didn’t know one existed let alone how to be a member. :bag:

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and the rest of SPAM.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thanks for the link. I’m going to have to think about it before joining now that the shopping season is upon us.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The only downside is that those refs would apply to Army Air Corps/Army Air Force Aircraft. USN Aircraft paint color would be separate until 1943 when the ANA standards were established.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

What a cool-looking airplane! I’d have bought that on sight out of curiosity too!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I mean seriously ^^^^^ Holy cow what a cool subject! This is going to be fun to watch.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Kenny, that kit did come with the option to build with machine guns on the nose. Since mine has holes for the gun barrels, the instruction guide mentions to fill them in for the unarmed version. If you do find one, don't hesitate to pick one up. So far, the assemblies has been a breeze with zero fit issues.

KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I think I have a Minicraft kit around here someplace and was wondering about for and engineering from that company. You know me, I like those “they just fall together really well with minimal issues” kits. And this one looks more than worth having so if I run across one I’ll definitely grab it.
Kenny X

Return to “Yellow Wings and Golden Era GB”