Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

Highlighting the aircraft during the interwar period between WW 1 and WW 2. Military and civillian. There are some great and colorful subjects and a number of air racers. Tuild one, Build them all!

Runs from July 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022

Carlos Cisneros (Stikpusher) and/or John Eaton (jeaton01) are moderators of this one.
speedgraflex

Re: Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

Post by speedgraflex »

You nailed that last photo! Indeed! Short nose!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

That yellow is lovely and it looks dead on to me based on the pic. It’s a good feeling when that happens, isn’t it?
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Neato! I did this one and the long-nose a couple of years ago. Hope your cowlings fit better than mine did. .
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Lyle... can you move this entire thread to the Yellow Wings Group Build thread? This is my choice for this Group Build. Thanks.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The yellow paint does look great. Of course it does, it's unobtainium! Nice finish.

And thanks to Bruce for the photos.

When working on N3N's in my mispent youth I had occasion to try to strip off some of the silver lacquer on the aluminum angle framing the fuselage was built from. It must have been really good for corrosion control as it was very difficult to remove and just laughed at paint stripper..
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Lyle... can you move this entire thread to the Yellow Wings Group Build thread? This is my choice for this Group Build. Thanks.
moved
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

These past couple weeks I’ve been making progress a little at a time. Will post pics soon when I have a chance.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Just re-read the thread back to page one, great work on that Yellow. It's interesting to see this next to John's long nosed version.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

As promised, here are the progress pics thus far...

Interior calls for either Green Chromate or Aluminum. So I decided to do both colors - first with Interior Green then brush it over with Non-Buffing Aluminum Metalizer paint.

Wheel well of engine cowl, gear doors and cockpit area. I did the same with the seat, stick and floor on wings (not shown)

Aluminum paint on undersides of wing and gear doors

Right and left engine cowls units.

Fuselage, tail assembly (Early version tail rudders), Nose piece glued on - I chose unarmed version). Gap is filled in as shown. Further work on the engine cowls before paint and fuselage will be painted very soon. I'm taking a chance in assembling the engine cowls complete and one piece with landing gears installed prior to paint. This way I can glue them as complete on the wing instead of in separate steps.

Right and left radial engines assembled.

A close up shot of radial engine. I painted it Aluminum as well as gearbox, washed using Tamiya Panel Accent Wash (this stuff is great since I couldn't find Flory Wash.) Rust lightly brushed on front ring - not sure what it's called.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is looking great!

Return to “Yellow Wings and Golden Era GB”