KENNY X HAS A TANK

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
KennyX
Elite Member

Re: KENNY X HAS A TANK

Post by KennyX »

speedgraflex wrote:Dude! Even better! Thank you for sharing how you make magic! I’m excited to try out variations on aircraft... and X-Wings. I’m getting drawn back into the world of ILM circa 1976 Burbank again. I wanna blow s***t up on video.

Thank you brother! And yep! You can dot fade aircraft, and simulate fuel leaks and grease smudges and all that with oils. I used them extensively on my recent Corsair. Lots of carryover with these techniques. I’ll document them on the Zero-side too.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mostrich wrote: That bear reminds me on the city arms of Berlin.
That’s because the bear is modeled after the Berlin bear. The Panzer Regiment, 35 I think, was formed in the Berlin area. I’ll have to look it up to find the exact unit.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yup, 35. Panzer Regiment, 4. Panzer Division

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Awesome!!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Where Carlos is, is always an answer. Thanks for looking that up!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

ALOT to be learned in this thread. I've always wondered how dot filters were applied and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to explain it.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mostrich wrote:Where Carlos is, is always an answer. Thanks for looking that up!
Just not always the right answer... :whistle:

But this time, yes... :giggles:

And you are quite welcome. It’s funny how many modelers know such information on squadrons, wings, and other such air units. But when it comes to armor units, when it comes down to anything below a division (which at full strength are quite large elements), it becomes a big riddle. The Flying Tigers are legendary and recognizable in an instant. The 501st schwere Panzer Abteilung, not so much, except to the folks who delve into that subject.

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Yep, especially when it comes to the permanent regrouping of armored divisions in the late war era. The high losses forced the Germans to regroup their units every few weeks. Not easy to keep track on that without having reliable sources on hand.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, the late war situation was most chaotic for the Panzer units. Units were decimated, withdrawn from the front lines, re equipped, then sent back into battle attached to a different unit, new or old. Distinctive Unit markings were rarely carried at the end.
On the opposite side of the coin, Allied markings were constantly evolving thru the war. The US 1st Armored Division in North Africa looked very different in markings from the end of the war in Italy where they finished the war. And the Soviet markings and units... can you say enigmatic cyphers?

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I’m digging how you shared a photo of the same Panzer as mine replete with added track link armor. Which, by the way! My links came in the mail a few days ago!
Kenny X

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”