Tamiya 1/35 Bradley M2 IFV

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stuart
Elite Member

Tamiya 1/35 Bradley M2 IFV

Post by Stuart »

Happiness is a kit by Tamiya - seriously, I started this kit this morning and I already love it. This is only my third Tamiya kit in ten years and I'm wondering why it's taken me so long to get to them - they are so relaxing to build, after a stressful week I'm seriously chilled...

Anyway...

I was going to jump straight into the Panzer III kit I just bought, but after watching 'The Beast' last night (and reading a bit of Team Yankee) I really fancied building something modern - and the only thing in my now much reduced stash was this...

There's a lot of plastic in the box - this kit has a full interior, which was one of the reasons I didn't start is right away when I bought it earlier in the year. Having built the Panzer II now thought I feel more ready to tackle it - besides I love the Humbrol 'Sky' colour and I remember Stik mentioning that it was a great match for the interior paint. - so bring it on!

So far I've added a few bits to the hull and built up the rear ramp. I'm going to have the rear door closed so I can drop the ramp. I'll also open up the top hatch.

Right then - more chilling to do - what's next?!

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Bradley M2 IFV

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re gonna love this kit Stuart! I’ve built a couple of the Tamiya Bradley’s, and while they are involved, they are simple to build at the same time.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Stik - I agree there does seem to be a lot to it but I'm just going to take my time and enjoy it.

Actually while I think about it. I'm going to do the OD version, with your knowledge of Humbrol paints, do you think they do a decent US Army Olive drab that you'd recommend - or do you think I'm going to going to have to look elsewhere. It'd be usful to know as there's a lot of modern/cold war US Army stuff I'd like to build in the future.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Actually the US Army stopped using Olive Drab on its’ vehicles in the 1970s when various camouflage schemes such as MASSTER and MERDC came along. Late M60A3s, along with most early M1s, M2s, and M3s were built and delivered in Forest Green FS # 34079. Humbrol makes that color, it’s with 116 or 117, the darker of the two. The lighter of the two is Medium Green FS # 34102, which is not used on US vehicles, only USAF aircraft.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the info Stik - Tamiya lists it as OD, hence the confusion. Thanks for the tips. My Humbrol paint chart lists 116 as US Dark Green, and 117 as Light Green. So I take it it's 116 that I want - which is lucky as I have some!

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re welcome Stuart. Yes, 116 is the color that should be used.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking good Stuart! I don't know about the happiness factor of Tamiya kit as I've only built two in my life: both aircraft. Still, it looks like you're having a blast. This is going to be fun to follow. Bring it on my man!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:You’re welcome Stuart. Yes, 116 is the color that should be used.

Thanks Stik - That's just the look I'm after!

:hmm: what colour are those road wheels... They look a bit lighter to me.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Duke Maddog wrote:Looking good Stuart! I don't know about the happiness factor of Tamiya kit as I've only built two in my life: both aircraft. Still, it looks like you're having a blast. This is going to be fun to follow. Bring it on my man!
Thanks Mark! It's certainly nice to build a kit the actually fits for once.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, that is just dirt on the road wheels. You can see a little splashed onto the side skirt armor as well.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”