Screen names and avatars

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
lawman56
Advanced Member

Screen names and avatars

Post by lawman56 »

I saw this once on another forum I used to frequent, and thought it might be interesting. What story, (if any) is behind your screen name and avatar?

Some are fairly simple to decipher, but others are an enigma! So I thought it might be interesting to see how we all came up with them. :)

Since I asked, I'll go first.

My screen name, (lawman56), stems from my time in the US Army. I was a Military Policeman for 9 years, stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. I was in the 16th MP Brigade (ABN), 503rd MP Battalion (ABN), and "Lawman" was the call sign for our battalion on the open tactical frequency. Every vehicle used that as the prefix, and the unit & vehicle number when in the open. For example, my call sign in the open, was "Lawman 108-431" which is 108th MP Company (ASSLT), 4th platoon, 3rd squad, 1st (Alpha) team. The number "56" comes from 3 years in the Traffic Section as an accident investigator. All the Traffic units had a 5 prefix in the call sign. Mine was 56.

My avatar, (for those who may not know), is of Dominic Gentile, sitting on the wing of his last combat aircraft. P-51B "Shangri-La". I love this guy for many reasons. Not only was he a fantastic pilot, (27 kills, 3 damaged in 350 combat hours flown), but he started before the US entered the war by volunteering with the RAF's 133, or Eagle, Squadron. The nose art on his Spitfire named "Buckeye Don" was a boxing eagle. When we entered the war, he was re-assigned to the 336 Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, initially flying a P-47 named "Donnie Boy". Again with the boxing eagle on the nose. Once he was assigned to a brand new P-51B, he named her "Shangri-La" and carried the, (now familiar), boxing eagle with him. He flew that P-51 with no major damage, until the day he buzzed the field after his last combat mission, when he pranged it while showing off. He was sent back to the US where he was given a new P-51D to fly around the country to sell War Bonds.

There is an interesting account of an incident in his P-47, where after shooting down 2 Fw-190s, and running out of ammo, he was chased by 2 more Fw-190s that emptied their guns into, and a,t his P-47, yet it refused to fall from the sky.

Sadly, Don Gentile was killed in 1951 when his T-33 Shooting Star, flamed out on take off.

So there's mine, what's yours? :)
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Re: Screen names and avatars

Post by scorpiomikey »

Well. my screen name is fairly easy to decipher.

My zodiac is scorpio, My name is Mikey. Its an enigma trapped in a mystery.

My avatar on some of the old forums was batman, so i kept variants of it so people could continue to identify it was the original scorp.
The original comic my original avatar came from is this one.

The new one is from a set of Chibi superhero greeting cards my partner got as a joke.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Intesting. My son was a comm guy in an MP unit for the KYNG. My screen name is a clever contraction of my first name and last initial. First name is L and last initial is yleW...or something like that. Avatar is me about 10 years ago. Haven't changed much....fatter, but no grayer.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

JimD wrote:Afraid my screen name at this point isn't much of a mystery.

My avatar is a pic of my daughter. I super glued her to the window so I wouldn't loose her.
I tried that once, but when she got old enough to paint her nails and use acetone, she escaped. Now she returns every weekend with her 3 Energizer bunnies......
Joe

Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Mine isnt so obscure but the Avatar is almost a dead ringer of me in 1976 on my first ship, Except it was dark hair and beard.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

lawman56 wrote:
JimD wrote:Afraid my screen name at this point isn't much of a mystery.

My avatar is a pic of my daughter. I super glued her to the window so I wouldn't loose her.
I tried that once, but when she got old enough to paint her nails and use acetone, she escaped. Now she returns every weekend with her 3 Energizer bunnies......
Im going to assume you mean children. That could be taken very much the wrong way :shock:
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

scorpiomikey wrote:
Im going to assume you mean children. That could be taken very much the wrong way :shock:
:lol: Sure does. She's 24 and has 3 boys of her own, ages 5, 4 & 3. Every Saturday she drops them off for 4 hours, where they run my wife and I ragged! Those little guys have two speeds, On and Off.

On a side note, when I decided to get rid of my 1/48th aircraft to make room for my 1/35 armor and 1/32nd planes, they had a blast flying them around the yard.......
Joe

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well my screen name dates to my Airborne days. In my old LRS unit, when dropping with my team, I was usually assigned the "stick pusher" slot- the last man out the door in a group of jumpers. AKA, a stick of jumpers. So I chose that as my screen name when I started having to do that for online websites needing one. I left out the c on mine to standardize and personalize it across the web. As for my avatar, Khan suited my temperament when this site was relaunched after being torpedoed earlier this year by those who shall not be named. Besides, he is one of my favorite onscreen sci fi villains of all time.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Free Discussion”