Spearhead tanks...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Spearhead tanks...

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Having finished reading the book Spearhead, makes me want to go out and get two tank kits: the Pershing and the Mark IV.

Now the question begs an answer. What's type of German tank that was involved in the famous tank duel in Cologne during WW2? Is it a Panther Mark IV or the Tiger tank Mark IV? To me, I don't think it's a Tiger tank. Am I correct?

If it is indeed a Panther (or Panzer) Mark IV, which kit would put the type on March 1944? Any recommendation of Panther tank kit?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: Spearhead tanks...

Post by Stikpusher »

That is a Panther A from the duel in front of the cathedral.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

As far as a good kit for the Panther A goes, the new Meng and Takom kits are reputed to be the best ones out there. Dragon also has several A kits, and there is the older decent Italeri Panther A (also reboxed and sold under the Heller, Revell Germany, and Zvezda labels). Stay away from the old Tamiya A kit, as it has many shortcomings.

If you plan on building a Pershing from that dual, in order I’d suggest Tamiya, Hobbyboss, then Dragon. For any Sherman’s that were part of that event, Tasha/Asuka make the best in 1/35. Dragon makes some good ones, and there are Academy, Italeri, and Tamiya kits as well.

A couple of side notes: Panzers Mk I thru IV had no name, Mk.V is the Panther, and Mk.VI was the Tiger and King Tiger.
Panthers broke down into three production types, in chronological order the D, the A, and the G. Why the D came before the A is anybody’s guess. Each type was improved off battlefield or production line feedback from the previous type. An F Type was in the works when the war ended.
The Köln cathedral Panther is an A type, visually identifiable by the hull sides and glacis plate features.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you, Carlos! That helps a lot.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re quite welcome. I look forward to what you’re gonna do with this.

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It's comes down between these four.....

Dragon kit:

Meng kit:

A couple Takom kits:

Kit sku# 2100

Kit sku# 2099

The Takom kits includes interior parts. I wonder if I could get away with not including the interior parts for ease of build. :hmm:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

From what I hear from the guys at AMPS, I’d say go with Meng or Takom. I have couple of the Dragon Panther kits in my stash. They are ok. Not great, not terrible, but with the typical Dragon issues.

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Recently built that this tank or something similar to it...it's pretty involved but it was a very nice kit!!!
Mike
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

After having finished the T-34/76 Russian tank (with another T-34 in my stash), it looks like armor fever is slowly catching my interest. The Pershing is definition on my soon to purchase tank. The next issue is trying to find the correct Panther “A” kit. Still researching and looking for online reviews on it.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very cool Tanks, I quite like the look of the Panther.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modeling Discussion”