Essential tools

What you need to get started!
LyleW
Admin

Essential tools

Post by LyleW »

When coming back to the hobby, or just starting out, what do you need to get started? This is by no means an exhaustive list but will be added to as we go.

A workspace - Can be dedicated or it can be the dining room table! It can be in the garage, basement, attic rooms, extra bedrooms, just about anywhere you can find room. Get a decent cutting mat to protect the surface. They can be found in craft stores.

Lighting - Two good lamps, one on each side of your workspace. Eliminates shadows. You may also want to consider buying a lighted magnifier type of lamp. Useful for the small stuff. And as I've gotten older, it all is becoming small stuff!

Comfortable chair - 'nuff said.

A decent hobby knife - Xacto is one brand, Excel is another. #11 blades fit both and they are sharp. Keep a supply of new blades on hand. Sharp knives work much better and are much safer. As you progress, you will find additional knife choices that may suit your needs. Oh, tape a toothpick along the handle to keep them from rolling off your workspace. Yes, they will and yes, it will stick in your foot. Yes, I know this to be true.

Sprue cutters - You can buy dedicated ones for 18 - 20 dollars or you can find some that are less expensive at the local hobby shop or craft store. Nail clippers will work as well. It simply makes it easier to remove the plastic and not damage the parts. Still need to be careful with clear parts, though. They can be brittle.

Glue - There are literally more choices that you can imagine. Some are pretty aggressive chemically and should be used with caution. You have:
  • Good 'ol Testor's model glue in the tube. This type of glue will melt the plastic together, basically welding it. If sloppily applied, it will mar the surface, too. I know of what I write.
  • CA glue. Also known as super glue. This comes in various strengths and viscosities. I like the medium thickness.
  • Testor's Cement for Clear Plastic - This is a water based, clear-drying glue that is great for glueing in the clear stuff. Won't mar the plastic. You can also use regular white glue
  • Liquid cement - Testor's, Tamiya and others make this. It is what is says. Liquid and comes in a bottle with a brush applicator. Tamiya Extra Thin is a highly recommended purchase.
  • And many others - Searching the forums will give you more choices that you need right now.
Paint - Hmmm....Acrylic, Enamel or Lacquer? How about Craft paint? All have a use and it will come down to your personal preference and what is available locally. However, with the internet stores, it all is available for the most part. Acrylics are not as smelly and potentially hazardous as enamels and lacquers can be. All should be used in a well ventilated area.

Brushes]/b] - Any painter will tell you to get a good set of brushes and then take care of them. Same here. You may not need many, but buy good ones. Size 0 up to 1/4" or so will likely get you started.

Other supplies - sanding sticks, sandpaper, paper towels, Windex, isopropyl alcohol (91%), nail files, emery boards, nail polish remover, . . . The list goes on and on. There are so many things that you will finc useful as you go down the path to true nirvana. Many are found in the non-hobby areas and stores. Just ask!

Patience Probably the biggest need. I don't have it in the quantities I need. Sit back, relax and enjoy the hobby. Take your time, ask questions on the forum. We have terrific people here that love to help out.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Re: Essential tools

Post by LyleW »

That is ok by me if you use it. Ain't rocket science.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Don't forget these!

Scribing tool- Needed for rescribing lost panel lines.

Clamps- These are needed to hold parts together like wing halves and such while the glue dries.

Pin Vise and drill bits- Pretty self explanatory. A lot of pin vises come with some drill bits.

Small clear plastic containers with lids- good for holding mixed paints.

Plastic droppers (pipettes)- great for moving paint from the jars into the airbrush and vise versa.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

JimD wrote:If you're anything like me:

Alcohol and antibacterial ointment for the cut fingers.

Bandaids.

Super glue debonder because let's face it, a night that something doesn't end up glued to your body is a failure.

Scotch for the nerves.

A pillow to scream into. Young children pick up bad words really fast.
Band aids? Really? That's what the super glue is for!
Mike

scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

I like to keep a bottle of IPA, a roll of paper towels, and some ramekins i stole from the kitchen around for clean up.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Medicman71 wrote:
JimD wrote:If you're anything like me:

Alcohol and antibacterial ointment for the cut fingers.

Bandaids.

Super glue debonder because let's face it, a night that something doesn't end up glued to your body is a failure.

Scotch for the nerves.

A pillow to scream into. Young children pick up bad words really fast.
Band aids? Really? That's what the super glue is for!

I always keep a well stocked first aid kit nearby. Many a time I've lopped a chunk of skin or two off me finners..... :roll:

I fully agree with the super glue, however, the setting agent has an interesting "salt & lemon mix in an open wound" kind of effect.....ask me how I know!
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I use super glue on cuts all the time! That's what they use in the ER for certain cuts that won't take stitches or staples well.
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Sanding sticks from coarse to extra fine grits and needle files... clean up clean up clean up... :?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Tools”