Essential tools

What you need to get started!
lawman56
Advanced Member

Re: Essential tools

Post by lawman56 »

Medicman71 wrote:I use super glue on cuts all the time! That's what they use in the ER for certain cuts that won't take stitches or staples well.
As do I. I just make sure I don't use either accelerator or acetone at the same time :shock:

My wife still cringes when I use it. I like to point out that it's much more sanitary than the "rub grease in it and wrap it in electrical tape" approach I used to use when busting knuckles on on an old small block Chevy!
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

Razor saws, Micro mesh pads, various exacto blades, such as #11, 21, and 18. Tamiya tape.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

JimD wrote:Accelerator?? Super glue? I've got a story.

I was trying to Jerry-rig something that broke a few months back...in the process of moving...just a quick hold it together while I go to the store and get what I need. I had it clinched in my fist and I had dumped pretty much a whole bottle of CA on top. I didn't realize it had run down the back of my hand and my arm. I grabbed the accelerator and I was dumb and trying to unscrew the cap and I spilled it. It ran all down my hand and my arm. About 5 seconds later I was in some excruciating pain. I mean the burning was unreal. I ran to the faucet and was running it under water but that really didn't help. The burning from the reaction lasted probably an hour of just intense pain. When it did stop and I got all the glue scraped away I had huge puss filled blisters.
Oh wow!! Bet you won't do that again!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Medicman71 wrote:I use super glue on cuts all the time! That's what they use in the ER for certain cuts that won't take stitches or staples well.
Except in the ER, they use a medical grade of CA. It's formulated differently than the CA we get at hobby shops. I had gone to the ER with a slashed finger and the nurse glued me together again. When I mentioned that several people suggested I do that back at the hall; she said that the CA I would have used would have caused more damage. She went on to tell me how many construction workers come in after gluing their wounds shut that they got on the job site because they were still in bad pain and the wound looked worse than when they got it.

Some of my essential tools:

Very fine-tipped tweezers like Docs use in hospitals.
-> Small hospital scissors for use on very small decals.
-> Flexible buffing pads of extremely fine grit for smoothing out my aircraft primer basecoats
-> Solvaset (the 'nuclear option') for those extremely difficult decals.
-> Mr. Surfacer 500

...and for those times I take my modeling to the Hall for St. Crispin's Irregular's Hobby Day for two days of almost uninterrupted building, there's this:

That's my tackle box I bought at Sports Chalet for holding everything I need (and more) for building models. It even has room for the tall bottles of supplies:

And there's plenty of room for everything else:

The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is one, awesome, kick-butt tackle box. Nice set up.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Lyle! It has served me well, and also helped a number of other modelers who've left tools and supplies at home. I really am thrilled with this!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Here are some tools that can help modelers work on photoetch bits

Monty / dmminiatures
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Would you recommend buying a starter tool kit from Bandai - the Mr. Super set - or is it more economical and wise to buy the basics separately? I like having a small box of essentials close at hand very much. My current situation is, well, modest is the word that comes to mind. When I needed a razor saw I had one person to ask for advice, so at least now I have the forum, all of you, and I could use advice. I would rather save and buy the kind of tools that will give me long life, consistent results and feel good to use than ones that sacrifice those qualities. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and time.

Bruce / speedgraflex
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Not essential, but useful....

Polish... yes it's meant for metals, but it will polish your plastic to a mirror smooth surface prior to any high gloss or NMF finishes...

and no it's not quite essential... but very useful for painting... lacquer thinner. And the real trick is to have an airtight useful container. The can from the hardware store is great, but not useful. So now I am trying this little Patron bottle, with good old fashioned cork plug... don't worry, no Patron was harmed here... I already cleared the bottle to make sure of that...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Tools”