USS Edwin A Howard DE 346 project- progress update 4/4 p.6

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Stikpusher

Re: USS Edwin A Howard DE 346 project- progress update 4/3 p

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:Thanks Bruce,,, but it looks so bad blown up,with all those scratches and gaps... mind you in reality those are tiny... but here... :headslap:
I apologize my friend! I edited my post. It was the plasticard that was fitted so well that caught my attention. Excellent work.
Bruce, no need to edit. That just exemplifies being our own worst critic. You see all the good stuff, I see all the flaws.
portman wrote:Looking good Stik - I'm loving the conversion work!
Stuart, thank you. I’ve never done this sort of thing on a ship kit to such an extent before. It’s not to different from what I’ve done in Armor. Just far smaller due to scale.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Re: USS Edwin A Howard DE 346 project- progress update 4/3 p

Post by Stikpusher »

So more little progress today...

First up, I thinned out the splinter shields for the forward 40mm tub and 20mm gun galleries

Then I glued that deck in place

And I added some sheet styrene to the lower front of the superstructure to deal with seams in that area

next I added the signal wings for the flying bridge

and then I thinned down the splinter shields for the aft 40mm tub and the midship lower 20mm tubs

so here is how it all looks now

and lastly I built up the stack...

this is gonna need lots of changes from what I’ve seen in photos and drawings
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: USS Edwin A Howard DE 346 project- progress update 4/4 p

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Your modifications are amazing. Good point about knowing where and when to stop adding the changes. Plus, you’re giving yourself as well as your audience a wonderful education! I had a look at Scalemates to see the kit instructions (thank you, Kari for this tip) and if I have found the right kit (unlike last time with Revell, Carlos) that is one kit that has been around for awhile! I was wondering if the superstructure lines up well with the deck and how the joins are addressed. I did a skip back through your project to see if you photographed a mock up, wasn’t sure and thought I would ask you. Are your plans to add the memorabilia to the base itself? TGIF
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tom and Bruce, thank you.

Bruce, according to Scalemates, this kit dates from the early 1950’s, so it is older than most of us here, excluding Lyle of course... :giggles:

The superstructure actually does line up well with the deck. At some point this kit was motorized, so to access the motor and change the batteries, the superstructure comes off as a single piece unit via side clip extensions of sorts.

No mock up photos yet, but I can get you one later today.

As far as plans for display, well that is up to my friend. But I think that he will have the memorabilia displayed on the shelf around the build. I will mount it on a wood base. But the medal citation alone should be in the standard 8 1/2 x 11 format. I want to say the photo of the man is a 5 x 7, and the Silver Star medal itself and the champagne bottle top and ribbon are each close in size to the model, with the medal being the smaller of those items.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Tremendous work Carlos! This is why I never do a ship for anyone. I just haven't got the skills or patience to do so much to a ship kit. Just take a look at the Izumo I'm doing... I should have been done with that already, but just adding P/E slows me down.

Keep it coming Carlos, I'm looking forward to future updates.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

out·stand·ing

(outˈstandiNG)

ADJECTIVE
exceptionally good.
"the team's outstanding performance"
synonyms
excellent · marvelous · magnificent · superb · fine · wonderful · superlative · exceptional · formidable · first-class · first-rate · virtuoso · skillful · masterful · masterly · great · terrific · tremendous · super · amazing · amazeballs · fantastic · sensational · stellar · fabulous · fab · supercalifragilisticexpialidocious · ace · crack · A1 · mean · awesome · magic · bad · wicked · out of this world · brilliant · brill · smashing · bosting · neat · badass · boss · on fleek · bonzer · wizard · spiffing · ripping · topping · champion · capital · top-hole · swell · keen · remarkable · extraordinary · exceptional · striking · eye-catching · vivid · arresting · impressive · distinctive · unforgettable · catchy · haunting · indelible · not/never to be forgotten · memorable · signal · special · momentous · monumental · significant · historic · notable · noteworthy · important · consequential · distinguished · preeminent · eminent · well known · famous · famed · celebrated · renowned · notorious · illustrious · out of this world
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Superb work Carlos :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, Lyle, and Stuart, thank you for your kind words on my work so far.

Mark, this was a request that I could not turn down. The guy that I am building this for is a very good friend of mine. Something pretty rare nowadays. And it is something of a challenge as well. Eventually I also will build him one of the Perry Class FFGs that he served on as well. But that will be a much simpler project, seeing that the Academy kit is new tool, and the PE set that I have for it is made for the kit. None of the major work involved as here.

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

You are tha MAN for taking on a ship project. I would love to take a project on like that one day but I'd be on it for years. lol

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”