IMC 1/32 Bell 206 Jet Ranger

LyleW
Admin

Re: IMC 1/32 Bell 206 Jet Ranger

Post by LyleW »

portman wrote:
LyleW wrote:...it finally occurred to me that I could have simply sanded down the little ridges they molded for the vents and put the decals in their place. Ol' Bronosaurus brain stikes again!
lol! You say that but some times we don't often think of these things until we start to tackle something. As it is I think you've come up with a pretty decent solution to the problem and I think it'll look good when you've got it all together. Are you still doing the OD version?

What I will say is you've got me wanting to do a 206 now.
You are too kind! These days, on this build, it is as much of a "lets try this" sort of experiment. If you do a 206, do not get the old IMC version.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, I finally caught up with this and I have to commend you highly on your persistence and determination here; as well as the fine work you've done to improve this despite the issues and the plastic. I am so impressed with you Lyle, you are doing a tremendous job and handling this extremely well. Keep going man, don't let the little things bring you down.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Duke, thank you. If you only knew!

I was out of town this weekend, Friday to Sun evening - on a quick mission trip with a group from our church to a facility in far Eastern Ky (Haven of Rest, Prestonsburg KY) to do penance for all the bad words I said up to this point. when I left Friday, I was 100 percent sure I'd be throwing this one in the trash upon returning to the bench on Monday. For now, it has a reprieve. For now.

I think I've decided to close up the holes in the engine cowling. After more than a few attempts to clean up the cutouts and square them up...they still look like I used a backhoe and a chainsaw to cut them out. I have repaired the openings, glued shims, added putty and filler and they still need more. Ain't worth it on this build. So, I'll be closing them up and printing a decal to place on the cowling. Oh, the decal I added to that plastic packaging material? It simply peeled off as though it had no adhesive on it what so ever....

More later. Today is Tax day in the US of A and I need to get things moving on that. Found out the hard way that Kentucky changed their tax rules and didn't really tell anyone. Cost me 500 bucks. And they wonder why people don't like taxes.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I feel ya about taxes, Lyle. I most certainly do. Good luck, sir.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:I feel ya about taxes, Lyle. I most certainly do. Good luck, sir.
Yep. Feds got me for just over 900 this year. Taxes on Social Security. Sheesh. It is about 400 better than last year though.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stay positive about the project, too. There’s gold in the old kits—and you never know how your inspiration is going to lead you onward! Just keep chipping away (literally). You will get there.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Much of the past days has been spent in re-gluing things. Still a couple of pieces to do, but they can wait. However, a strange, unusual calm aura has descended upon this build. The BB gun is loaded and cocked, but on full safety. Weird, to say the least.

This plastic is awful. Not the first time I have mentioned it. Even CA seems to pop off at random times. Strange stuff. For example, the skids. Here is how they made them to attach. Anyone see a potential for disaster? Two small pins and a flat mating surface? Anyone, anyone?

One side came all the way off and then both came loose at the front attach point. For now, they are solid. The right side looks like someone has been knawing at it with a weed eater. And, I do not understand why the tape is all popping up. Oh well. I filled, sanded and fixed what I could (calmly) and decided it is good enough to be good enough. I am literally afraid to handle this thing any more than necessary.

Marching ever forward, I primed it with a Rust-o-leum gray and then because i was really lazy today....yeah, yeah, yeah....I got some Rust-o-leum camo paint at Walmart. You know...the stuff the hillbilly rednecks paint their trucks, cars and dogs with. This is Deep Frst Green. I assume it means Deep Frost Green.

That is where we are. The windows were not as tight to the frames on the doors as I would have liked, so no telling what that will look like. I am scared to death they will pop off trying to remove the tape...
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Keep at it Lyle! You will subdue this beast! :ballbat:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow, you ain’t kidding. She’s fighting with you all the way with no end in sight. Push on, Lyle.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:Keep at it Lyle! You will subdue this beast! :ballbat:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Wow, you ain’t kidding. She’s fighting with you all the way with no end in sight. Push on, Lyle.
It has proven I am not good at scratch building at this point, too. I need to get some more “throw away” kits don and get some semblance of competence back.

Return to “Whirlychopters”