Cessna T50 1/48 Squadron "Encore"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Cessna T50 1/48 Squadron "Encore"

Post by LyleW »

Going to take the ol' girl upstairs tonight and let her sleep in the a/c and lower humidity. Still a bit gummy feeling.

Hope tomorrow things are not so "sticky"...
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I hesitate to post the woes and bobbles with this thing. You have to be getting tired if that. I did get decals on. I simply got tired of looking at it without them.

The side windows have been an utter pain. They keep popping out. Got the starboard side in a day or two ago. Got the port side in yesterday and it popped out this morning. Tough to get it in position. Lost one and raided one of the kits for the replacement. It has to be here somewhere. A piece of the blue painters tape touched the decal on the port wing ever so slightly and pulled off a chunk. When taking the rest off with Frog tape, well.....easy enough to fix and raided the kit for a replacement decal so I didn't have to try and print white...

Here she is all gussied up. The only kit decals are the stars and bars. The blemish above the port window opening is where I tried a very thin strip of Frog tape to help hold/place the window. It has been repainted. Using sticky-tack to hold some paper masking. That pulled off a tiny fleck of the number 4. Fixed that this morning, too.

Here is the reference picture, again.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's looking good with the decals on Lyle - This is putting up a fight but you're besting it so keep it up.

Is that side window just a flat bit of plastic, or does it have any kind of lip around the edges?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

portman wrote:That's looking good with the decals on Lyle - This is putting up a fight but you're besting it so keep it up.

Is that side window just a flat bit of plastic, or does it have any kind of lip around the edges?
There were some slight bevels on the clear part and I am assuming a corresponding bevel in the fuselage part. I will have to scrape, sand, chisel, dynamite some of the old glue away to get to some clean styrene to attach to. A light touch to be sure!

I also am not sure what to do about masking the anti-glare areas on the nose and nacelles. I think I'll give them some clear coat protection first.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good Lyle! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:
portman wrote:That's looking good with the decals on Lyle - This is putting up a fight but you're besting it so keep it up.

There were some slight bevels on the clear part and I am assuming a corresponding bevel in the fuselage part. I will have to scrape, sand, chisel, dynamite some of the old glue away to get to some clean styrene to attach to. A light touch to be sure!

I also am not sure what to do about masking the anti-glare areas on the nose and nacelles. I think I'll give them some clear coat protection first.
Might be an idea, but as I'm lazy I'd just freehand it like I did on my Sabre (editors note: I am in no way suggesting you do this...)

I was just thinking you could put a bit of evergreen strip top and bottom of the inside of the window to hold them, but if you do have a lip of some sorts then fair enough.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart, those are all good options...I don't know what I'll do at this point. Still cogitatin' on it. The problem with that window is access at the moment. since everything is closed, except for the windscreen and door, it is hard to reach. I'll get it. Maybe. May just say the window is open and leave it off. We used to fly our 172s with the windows open at times.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

lol!!! Best option!!! either that or as I said to Thomas - it's not missing it's battle damage!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

:hmm:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I am done for a while. Seriously done. I quit. I just literally dropped the hammer on this utter turd of a kit. The windscreen was the final straw. Warped, ill-fitting, too wide … you name it. I'm gone until my mood improves. This kit sucked so much it could have been a vacuum cleaner.

Fifty bucks down the drain along with 3 weeks or so of effort. I still haven't found some of the pieces.

So long for now.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”