Boeing 247 1/72 Williams

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Boeing 247 1/72 Williams

Post by LyleW »

portman wrote:Great save on the decals - that's looking spot on Lyle! :shoutout:
Thank you kind Sirs! The decals were easy!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

You know how the modeling gods have a sense of humor? A sick one, but they have one.....I did fix the decal in the middle of the underside.

Then the landing lights. Dear, sweet, innocent landing lights. From the kit instructions.
"Carefully remove material from leading edge locations until landing lights and glare shield fit into position. A sharp modeling knife and a small pattern file are useful for this". . . . . end quote.

Every single landing light I've seen has had the top and bottom of the opening cu t away for the clear part. So, I did that. WRONG-O-REENO, Fat boy. So, now I'm trying to repair that little oopsie.

Some days, I amaze even myself.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I suggest you follow the Stuart Templeton School of Lazy-arsed modelling and :quotes: forget :quotes: to fit the landing lights...

Look good though Lyle!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Hmm, the Professor speaks truth. Either way, fitting them or not, a lot of patching would have to take place. The instructions are of zero help on this one. I wasn't smart enough figure out ...William Brothers, fit it first dummy" in this case. Apparently the top half of the wing provides a hood over part of the landing light. The bottom portion is cut away on the lower wing.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I feel your pain. A piece of clear lense for landing lights went “ping” and gone AWOL on the floor. Couldn’t find the piece but had to fabricate another. One of these days, it’ll turn up in the most unlikeliest of places other than the floor. :headslap: :bored: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Oh, it will! Every now and then, the Grand Pobah of the”ping” Parts returns on...every now and then. So I’ve heard.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Hurray! A tailwheel door turned up while I was looking for the other landing light that went off into the darkness. I have no idea what kit it is from, but I count it as a victory nonetheless!

As for the landing lights? I'll put up some pictures tomorrow...probably...maybe. Boxed in the starboard opening, and used some clear package material to form a lense. I'm tired from not sleeping well, so it looks good to me at this point. I also had to remake the glare shields.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Lyle—Great work on everything, even finding the part for another kit. I needed to catch up on how things were going. I am sorry about the insomnia if that is what it is. I am having a lot of bad dreams so sleeping is less and less appreciated. And I was extremely impressed by how you repaired the decals, sir. That was quite extraordinary. All the best.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Bruce, thank you. Decals are easy, the paper helps a lot. The World-Paper water slide material is nice, thin and releases easily. Seems pretty durable as well.

I am supposed ti go get a sleep study done, so that is in my future. We ar3 pretty sure there is sleep apnea involved... and my brain suddenly wants to chat about everything that happened in my life, model building, etc, it thinks it is great fun.
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Great decal save sir! Keep cranking on this and you will whip it in shape... I have no doubt

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”