Lyle’s Jet GB subject is ...

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Lyle’s Jet GB subject is ...

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:Morning, Lyle. Do you have a small travel steamer you could use to heat both sides of the plastic enough to close the join? Even now with clamp and duct tape still attached you can gently heat the wing from flaps forward to see if the issue with the leading edge may be improved. At the minimum you will clean the surface, but I think you may see a more positive result. Just keep doing passes with the steamer and heating the plastic as gently as possible...
Good morning! No, I don't have a steamer. I have been thinking about it since you mentioned it on the Vigilante build. That may be the answer to releasing some tension. Thanks!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Steamers are better to use than ye olde “Dip in hot water method,” but both will work. I found the secret is being gentle even with new plastic...
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Upon much thought....we may have one. seems the wife bought something some months ago. I'll have to see if I can appropriate it. .

And,

OH, GREAT AND MIGHTY CARPET/HARDWOOD FLOOR MONSTER...THANK YOU!

Putting the little side windows in …. one at a time removed from the sprue. put it on t he mat and POOF, it was gone. Then it dawned on me....I haven't seen the canopy for a while. Swept the floor under the bench and both items showed up. Whew. Part Number 76 is the winders. Nice thing finally. They made it with a wide flange around the actual window piece. The fuselage halves had a nice recess to hold that.

Having zero knowledge of this subject, look at parts 10 and 11 … there are two drawings and no explanation. Is one closed (upper representation) and one open?

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It looks that way to me. Look at the dotted line placement for each part. If glued to lower dotted line area, I assume is opened position, glued higher on dotted line is closed position. Maybe part of bomb bay doors? Perhaps Bish might chime in...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Sot of, kind of finally figured that out. The box art shows those two halves as one piece, being part of the refueling operation.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I was wondering if that was a possibility.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I think 10/11 is the fairing for the fuel basket. It lowers when the hose reel is to be extended for refueling operations, and is retracted when the basket and hose is reeled in.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I was wondering if that was a possibility.
Me, too....
Stikpusher wrote:I think 10/11 is the fairing for the fuel basket. It lowers when the hose reel is to be extended for refueling operations, and is retracted when the basket and hose is reeled in.
that it is. Instructions are not clear and there is no parts list. The box art saved the day. It is now in place and retracted.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

glued the fuselage together today.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looking good Lyle!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”