Now, for my next trick! round 2,3,4, and 5!

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Now, for my next trick! round 2,3,4, and 5!

Post by Fermis »

This isn't modeling, in the traditional sense...(the reason we're all here).
In a "loose" way, it kinda, almost...maybe???...fits!

This is something I have always been interested in, but was too afraid of completely failing.
I've watched a few videos and realized that "start up" cost can be quite cheap (quite expensive, though...if I wanted to do this on a pro level).
Anyway....I picked up a few supplies from the local hardware store, and caught me some fish!

Got a nice pair of walleye, last friday evening...

They aren't "trophy" size...but nice enough to give this a shot!

I wrapped one in a damp towel, and stuck it in the freezer, to be done later.
I skinned and fleshed out the other...after tracing the outline on freezer paper.
I put the skin and head in a mix of denatured alcohol/water for a few days.
While that was soaking, I glued 3 pieces of foam insulation together...once dried, I cut out the rough shape...

Using a rasp and sandpaper, I carved the body form...

Just like in modeling...TEST fit!!!

Satisfied (mostly)...the skin went back in the mix. I carved out the foam and added a wood mounting block...

I coated the form with glue, wrapped the skin and sewed up the back side. I pinned the head in place with coat hanger wire.
I'm not overly thrilled with the angle of the head...but pleased enough for my 1st go at this.
Fins are "carded", to keep em flat, straight, and splayed open while everything dries out...

It has to dry out for about 2 weeks...so, by next weekend, it'll be about ready to start painting.
Got all my paints and glass eyes in, yesterday.....can't wait!!!
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Now, for my next trick!

Post by keavdog »

taxidermy? It's a model for sure - just got bits of the real-deal in it. Nice couple of fish BTW. Best freshwater fish I ever caught on the Kern river in the south eastern Sierras
Would like to have had you mount that one!
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Given your expertise with plastics, detail and painting, I am confident you will master this.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

keavdog wrote:taxidermy? It's a model for sure - just got bits of the real-deal in it. Nice couple of fish BTW. Best freshwater fish I ever caught on the Kern river in the south eastern Sierras
Would like to have had you mount that one!
She's a beaut, Clark!
I LOVE trout!!! I really, really, REALLY wish there was a good trout stream close by. You'd think, being in Michigan, every stream would have trout...NOPE...everything with trout is well over an hour away from where I am. (at the closest)
In addition to doing these walleye "traditionally", I also ordered a smallmouth "replica". I'll see how that goes...next on the list is a rainbow/steely.
The replicas are a bit pricey, but still only about 1/3rd-1/2 the cost (if you paint it yourself) of having a skin mount done professionally (which is up to about $20 per inch...YIKES!!!).
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Just for a little "one-upsmanship"....

My personal best....23lbs

This sucker could bite your face off!!!

King Salmon...out of the Manistee River. (5-6 years ago)
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s a few good meals there! Bravo on your first go on taxidermy! That is great work!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That's a nice old hookjaw. Never got to do any salmon fishing but when I moved to SoCal I started ocean fishing. Caught some nice albacore, yellowfin and bigeye. Maybe we should start a fishing thread. I caught that trout on 4lb test. Had my rod and drag set perfectly and I will swear by spiderwire for all time!
Thanks,
John
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

My introduction to fishing was in the Monterey area, when I was a kid. Red Snapper and rock cod was about it....then bluegill and stocked rainbow at Lake San Antonio (Cali). When we first got to Hawaii, we had temp housing near Pearl. There was a walking path behind the place we were staying, and there was a couple creeks that flowed into the harbor. I'd go with a tiny hook and use tiny bread balls to catch some shiners out of the smaller creek...then go over to the bigger creek and catch some barracuda....typically in the 18-24 inch range...scrawny "hammer handle" type. Never got anything big out of the ocean.

This Northern was my personal best, up until that salmon. She "tickled" 45 inches and weighed in at 23 lbs....but, she had a roughly 3lb. sucker in her belly.
(I had to take a pic of a printed pic)

She was the 2nd pike I caught, that fits into the "monster" category. I know I've lost several "monsters"...big and powerful fish. My "heavy" gear is 15lb braided line on a light-medium rod and reel. I've been completely "spooled" twice, and cut off more time that I care to count.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Moving along...

The walleye still needs a bit more dry time, before I paint it....but I have done a little more work on it.
I set the eyes with Magic-sculpt, as well as adding some to the tail area, where things had shrunk down a bit...also "built up" a bit in the chin/belly area, which helps a lot to take away the "droopy" look to the head vs. body.
I also "de-carded" the fins. I used Mod Podge on both sides of the fins (they'll curl if you don't) and added tissue paper "fin backer" to the fins. The fins on this fish were split to hell.

After trimming the tissue paper, I roughed up the edges a little bit...I'll do a bit more later.
I'll also have to add the scale detail to the resin areas...

Toothy!!!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This is something I’ve always wondered about...the howzit done. Is the fish going to sing like Billy Bass?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”