Now, for my next trick! round 2,3,4, and 5!

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
pzl66
Master Member

Re: Now, for my next trick!

Post by pzl66 »

Awesome work Fermis! There is nothing out there you cannot model! Now I am hungry!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Fermis, you are a man of many talents! Bravo! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Damn! That looks too real! Bravo, Fermis! What’s next? Northern pike? Largemouth? The world wonders. I know my bro-in-law would love one of those.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Struck dumb. Okay, dumber. Fermis, stunning work for you inaugural attempts. My goodness...
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Much thanks!
I'm quite happy with this one and it will hang proudly on my wall.

I finished up the walleye today. I'll post pics once I have it mounted on something....driftwood or a plaque???
I am nowhere near as happy with it as I am the Smally....but, for my first go at it, I can't complain too much.
This walleye was my buddies catch, and I'll be giving it to him (the price is right!)...and I'll use what I learned when I do mine!
BlackSheep214 wrote:Damn! That looks too real! Bravo, Fermis! What’s next? Northern pike? Largemouth? The world wonders. I know my bro-in-law would love one of those.
I'd love to do the northern, from the pic posted earlier...but that's getting pretty pricey...and I have yet to find a replica that really looks right.
I'd also love to do my big salmon...but again...same as the pike.
I'm thinkin next will either be a steelhead (Lk MI "chromey"....very silvery), or a rainbow.
I've only caught 2 steelies, one was fairly small..15-16"...the other was 27".
My biggest rainbow was 24". The same company that made the smally makes a nice 24" rainbow.
Rainbow and steelhead are basically the same fish (steelies can be almost identical in color to the rainbow, or much more silvery, like a salmon), so I could paint it up either way.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Got the walleye painted up and mounted on a cheap plaque from Michaels.

For my first attempt at this, I really can't be all that disappointed.
What I don't like...lessons learned...
Shape/pose. It's a bit too "torpedo-ish"....next time, more curve.
Head angle is off...that's due mainly to the carving of the body, I think...and being a bit hasty.
Color...buy proper colors!
Don't use tissue paper as fin backer.
I could have done much better with the resin.
Overall, I think it looks like one you might find at an estate sale, that was mounted back in 1958 (minus the dust!)

keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Now, for my next trick! Finished!

Post by keavdog »

Wow - great work! I swear I've caught a few wall-eye and they never looked that scary... must have been babies or a SoCal variant. Really nice work. I've got to get back on the stream!
Thanks,
John
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Most impressive to me Fermis! I like it!

Now if only I could catch something like that! :whiteflag:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

keavdog wrote:Wow - great work! I swear I've caught a few wall-eye and they never looked that scary... must have been babies or a SoCal variant. Really nice work. I've got to get back on the stream!
Yeah, she's scary lookin, alright!!!
Not even close to "true to life". :sad:

Amazingly...there's only a difference of a few inches between this one and my BIG one....but there's a difference of nearly 10 pounds!

The big'n was done by a friend of mine, roughly 12-13 years ago. He was pretty much a beginner with fish, but did great work with deer and was absolutely amazing with duck (he was way more into duck, and has won many awards at competitions....yup...there's taxidermy nerd contests, just like model nerd contests!).

Also, finally got around to hanging up the Smally...

Duke Maddog wrote:Most impressive to me Fermis! I like it!

Now if only I could catch something like that! :whiteflag:
Can't catch em if ya aint got a line in the water!!! Git some!!!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Damn! That looks too real! Bravo, Fermis! What’s next? Northern pike? Largemouth? The world wonders. I know my bro-in-law would love one of those.
Here we go!!!

The salmon have all fins and head cast separately (just loosely in place for pic).

The Smallmouth is going to be for my nephew...as one he caught last Fall on a Scout trip to Minnesota.

The Black Crappie will match my biggest crappie, from years ago...before I had the funds to have it mounted.

My salmon...(41".. 32lbs) Caught back in 2013

My dads salmon..(39"...27lbs) Caught last Fall

I plan to do mine a little bit lighter than what it was when caught....not very pretty to look at!

My Dads will be as close as I can make it, to the live specimen....shiney!

Before really getting started (need some powertools and garage time...it frigid out there!), the head of my fish got busted in shipping.

These heads are solid resin....easy fix with a little CA and sanding.

...and...a bonus pic. 30"...10lb Steelhead I caught last summer...there will likely be one of these getting done in the future!

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”