D-Day Sherman

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

D-Day Sherman

Post by Stikpusher »

This project has a bit of a long gestation before finally taking shape. I originally bought the basic Nichimo M4A1 in “severely started” condition off of eBay many years ago. But it was incomplete and languished on a shelf in my work areas for years while I wondered what to do with it.

In May, for this past June’s 75th Anniversary of D-Day and also the June IPMS theme, I decided to modify and complete it as a wading M4 of the 741st Tank Battalion on Omaha Beach. The basic mods for wading, adding the stacks and waterproofing canvas and sealant did not take too long to do, but longer than I estimated (of course). And then of course, life gets in the way, so planned work bench times don’t happen. Long story short, this was not done in time for June.

Well, yesterday, I finally finished up the AFV Club T48 indie link tracks. Originally, when I started this project, I had something of a personal quandary about calling this build as my own. Let’s just say that after all the changes and effort that I put into this one, I now consider it “mine”... all ready for final detail paint and decals now...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Re: D-Day Sherman

Post by Modelcrazy »

Looks good Stick, where did you get the stacks?
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Those came off an Italeri kit for an Iwo Jima Sherman. I picked up a couple on clearance, and would not be making one as a wader, so had that as spares. It took some mods to the Nichimo kit and the stacks to adapt them to fit. I did not have lots of reference photos, so there is some guestimation here.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I hear ya with life getting in the way of bench time. But in the end you have one awesome looking Sherman!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thomas and Clint, thank you for your compliments and kind words.

Here is my final update for today. I finished up all detail painting aside from the wood handle areas of the commander’s .50.

All ready for the decals tomorrow

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Decals on... I used a set of Bison decals for these markings. Which are great to use.

Almost at the finish line...

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looking good Carlos. You going to weather her like she just came out of the water?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Clint, I’m planning on doing some light weathering on this. I can imagine that the surf took off a lot of the dirt & dust that photos show was on the tanks when they went on board the landing craft in England.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos! This is superb!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”