Sterling Models 1/108 U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hamilton

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/108 Sterling Models U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hami

Post by speedgraflex »

Modelcrazy wrote:Those line are very similar to the racing yacht America
I agree. It’s a beautiful design. I am trying to find plans through the Smithsonian, which will be a big help, I think. At the moment my head is whirling with thoughts about both ships, an online catalog from a company in Australia has my attention with model cannon and long boats, and I am debating the merits of cutting strips of copper sheet versus painting the hull in layers of rub n buff copper then scribing the plates.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I had thoughts of plating my Victory someday when I finally get back to it...you know, sometime in the afterlife. I envisioned laying copper foil over the lower hull and scribing the plates. I am interested in what you come up with.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Yes, the concept of the afterlife is a mead hall with long benches, superb lighting, and a hundred thousand perfectly formed copper plates all ready for inspection. Also models of Nelson’s HMS Victory and Richard Brown’s America are two I would love to find in this model builder’s Valhalla. I do believe I have mixed and matched half a dozen metaphors in that last part. I am impatiently awaiting the kit... I hope its arrival provides answers more than questions.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am tracking the delivery of the package by tomorrow.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Be sure and give us sprue, or in this case, sheet shots.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Copy that!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This will be something to watch! Is it done yet?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am debating whether to go “Full Speed Ahead” on the ship instead of sharing headspace with plastic kits at the moment. I need to buy a coping saw to cut out the parts if so. Thank the heavens for Carlos’s gift of a Dremel. Thank you, Carlos! Honestly I think I may build that Monogram Viggie to complete Stuart’s GB and use as my FB interview photo, then try for the FM 109 before I tackle anything here. I saw Matthew Wednesday night and we both are so tired from working our respective day jobs that I let the idea I would use his wood shop go; I don’t want to stress my buddy out more cutting out parts (he has the tools, though).

USPS updates both Monogram and Sterling packages as out for delivery.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Don't wear yourself out Bruce, there's plenty of time.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Good advice. I am also keeping in mind that it takes 9 months to a year for a wooden ship builder to complete all aspects of the kit. At the moment, I will need your advice about the kit condition as you know wood sailing kits. The other aspect of wooden ship building is to stick to the instructions. That’s essential for all first kits, of course, but there is an urge I have to make a few improvements that ought to be checked. I think I also will get some basswood planks and balsa shapes to make a study model for glue as well as paint. I actually think that makes the most sense.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”