Sterling Models 1/108 U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hamilton

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
Stikpusher

Re: 1/108 Sterling Models U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hami

Post by Stikpusher »

Plastic ships are long slow projects. Wood ships, are even more so by an order of magnitudes. And above all, don’t force any sessions of progress. Embrace that this will be a stop & go project, that your mojo will flow like the tides, and you’ll be just fine on this.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

You are so right Stick. Good advice.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you both. Sincerely. After I took a basic inventory of pieces, I noted that the original owner included the sales receipt from the hobby store where he purchased the kit in 1990. On one hand I feel good picking up where the builder left off - unbuilt and now build status pending. On the other I feel sadness for all the unbuilt projects out there. Maybe he was a collector... I will take photos of the pieces inside over the weekend... or perhaps later today.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Re: Sterling Models 1/108 U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hami

Post by Modelcrazy »

Yeah, I'll bet there are more purchased unbuilt kits than built. It is so sad when a modeler passes and his wife sells the stash for pennies the dollar. We get them and the cycle continues.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Truth. Wisdom. I felt so many emotions from seeing that invoice. It was meant to be seen—bagged carefully and prominently. I don't know. I get emotional when I see things like this.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The receipt brings to mind something from my work past. I had the handle on a death where an older gentleman had passed away due to old age/natural causes. Standard procedure is to walk thru the location to look for any evidence of foul play to insure that things are as they appear, and not staged. Going thru the home, from photos and other such memorabilia I could see that he was a former sailor, and appeared to be a WWII Navy vet. In one area of the house, I came upon his hobby work area, and there on his workbench was a nearly complete large scale Fletcher class destroyer. It looked to be the Lindberg “Blue Devil” kit, 1/125 scale kit. I do hope that his survivors kept that memento of his past and did not just toss it into the trash.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you so much, Carlos—an incredible story and especially in light of seeing a man’s modeling legacy—what we leave behind—encapsulated in a hobby shop receipt or a model being assembled on the bench. When my father passed suddenly and unexpectedly after retiring he was living alone in Palm Harbor, Florida at a Lutheran retirement home. The heart attack which claimed his life happened at his desk. He was repairing his answering machine and left behind a list of items to buy at the hardware store. I kept the list.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is going to be fantastic to follow. I have a few plastic sailing ships to finish; this might just give me the impetus to get them done.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Get a building then! :whistle:

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I'm trying but with all the handyman work I've been doing and preparing for my trip to the Nationals; I barely have any energy to even eat before heading to bed. LOL! On the plus side, I've lost some more pounds; down to 242 right now. :yahoo: Walking around at the San Diego Comicon sure helped too.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”