Sterling Models 1/108 U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hamilton

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
speedgraflex

Sterling Models 1/108 U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hamilton

Post by speedgraflex »

THE LONG BLUE LINE

Type: Morris-Taney Class Revenue Cutter
Displacement: 112 tons
Length: 78 feet
Beam: 20.6 feet
Draft: 9.7 feet
Sail plan: Topsail schooner
Crew: 20-24 officers and men
Armament:
  • 2 brass 4 pounders
    2 brass 6 pounders
    Muskets and Boarding Pikes
    2 iron 6 pounders
    2 iron 2 pounders
In the November 1787 publication of Federalist Number 12, Alexander Hamilton wrote, “A few armed vessels, judiciously stationed at the entrances of our ports, might at small expense be made useful sentinels of the laws.”

The United States Revenue Cutter Hamilton was one of 13 cutters of the Morris-Taney Class to be launched. Named after Secretaries of the Treasury and Presidents of the United States, these cutters were the backbone of the Service for more than a decade. Samuel Humphreys designed these cutters for roles as diverse as fighting pirates, privateers, combating smugglers and operating with naval forces. He designed the vessels on a naval schooner concept. They had Baltimore Clipperlines. The vessels built by Webb and Allen, designed by Isaac Webb, resembled Humphreys' plan, but had one less port.

The Revenue Cutter Hamilton was built in the New York Navy Yard in 1831. Records show that the Cutter Hamilton was built alongside two other cutters by the firm of Webb and Allen.

The Hamilton, the fastest vessel in the class, operated out of Boston for much of her career. She became famous for rescues and saving of property. Josiah Sturgis was her captain for much of this time. She became well known and extremely popular, so much so that music was written entitled the "Hamilton Quick step." The Hamilton transferred to Charleston, South Carolina in 1851. She was wrecked on the Tully Breakers on December 9, 1853 with the loss of fourteen of her fifteen crew.

This newly formed maritime force did not have an official name, it was simply referred to as "the cutters" or "the system of cutters." This small force enforced national laws, in particular, those dealing with tariffs.

The Continental Navy having been disbanded in 1785, there was no United States Navy initially under the Constitution. These cutters were the only maritime force available to the new government. Thus, between 1790 and 1798, the “system of cutters” were the only warships protecting the coast, trade, and maritime interests of the new republic. Hence, the Coast Guard’s status as the United States’ “oldest, continuously serving sea service”

The duties specifically assigned to the cutters and their crews as legislated by Congress and expounded by Alexander Hamilton included:

1. boarding incoming and outgoing vessels and checking their papers (ownership, registration, admeasurement, manifests, etc.)
2. insuring that all cargoes were properly documented
3. sealing the cargo holds of incoming vessels
4. seizing those vessels in violation of the law

Soon other duties, not related to protecting the revenue, were assigned to the service. These included:

1. enforcing quarantine restrictions established by the federal, state or local governments
2. charting the local coastline
3. enforcing the neutrality and embargo acts carrying official (and unofficial) passengers carrying supplies to lighthouse stations other duties as assigned by the collector of customs

Their primary purpose, however, was to protect the revenue of the new nation by deterring smuggling. That meant sailing out of the ports to which they were assigned and intercepting vessels before they came too close to the shore. It was here, well out of the harbor but within sight of the coast, that smugglers unloaded part of their cargoes into smaller "coaster" vessels or directly onshore to avoid customs duties. The collectors usually had smaller boats that could check vessels as they sailed into port.

These cutters, therefore, were not harbor vessels; they were designed to sail out to sea, survive in heavy weather, and sail swiftly so that they might overtake most merchant vessels. They were the nation's first line of defense against attempts to circumvent the new nation's duties, the country's major source of income during this period.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Re: 1/108 Sterling Models U.S. Revenue Cutter Alexander Hami

Post by speedgraflex »

STERLING MODELS, INC.

Time for us to take the DeLorean back to the Eighties and head straight for the local hobby shop. We can find the place just by feel; and once we park outside we can see the soft glow of the lights inside. All the guys are here. In my case, I remember my father’s buddies—the guy who built airplane engines and only engines which he would rev up on wooden sawhorses, and never saw fuselage or wings, that guy would be here with the guy who forged metal cannons in perfect miniature that fired some form of grapeshot—all he needed were horses to pull them into position or deck crews to lash them on the deck; then there was the Lionel trains guy, always adding more tracks; and finally there was my father who wrenched his way through an engineering degree and built pretty much anything and everything with wheels. They would be here on a Friday night, clustered in the back room with the fella who owned the shop; and they would be shooting the “sheets,” as they would pleasantly call it, and I would be staring at all the lower displays because I was still not tall enough to see the top ones.

There is nothing quite like cutting parts out of sprues for the very first time or separating framing for aircraft wings from sheets of balsa; and there is certainly nothing quite like carving and sanding hardwood forms into a ship hull. Sterling Models of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania knew that and they knew how to stoke the fires of their customers.

Now, years later, Sterling Models is nearly forgotten, a mysterious fire having burned down their warehoused inventory, a partial sale of assets to Estes Model Rockets a final thin frail footnote for them. They quietly fell apart, and in many ways so did stick and tissue kit building. They became a memory.

Although some of us remember and remember still; and certainly eBay has a limited stock of kits on hand. Hence this build.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Bruce, great history and interesting reading. I also remember building those stick and tissue kits. In-fact I have some the the instructions in digital form.
Last edited by Modelcrazy on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Beautiful! Semper Paratus. I am listening to sea shanties tonight.

Soon it will be time to watch “Master and Commander” again.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, that was a superb pair of introductory posts for this project. The history of the ship herself, and then those hobby shop memories... great stuff! You do have a way with the words.

:shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, Carlos. I sincerely appreciate your friendship. I am starting the “To do’s” along with the “How to’s” with this kit. Fortunately Sterling used hardwood for the parts. Unfortunately the boards are painted outlines that must be cut out with a coping saw which I need. Fortunately I am going to knock on my buddy Matthew’s door pretty soon with a six pack and a pizza to have him assist me.

First planned modifications—new supports and base:

I don’t think the support posts should be centered on the keel, but in relation to the masts, perhaps.

However:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Nice Bruce, you're making me want to finish my America kit but I can't find the box :sad:
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

What a beautiful subject! Also, I learned that the waterline is the horizontal line that is parallel to the base. I have much to learn, and thank you for following.

I am wrong. Studying this drawing:

The waterline angles downward at the bow.

Comparing drawing to model:

The upward slant of the model is visible.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Back to the drawing board. Starting with this:

I will use this drawing to create the ship support cradle dimensions. I do want the feeling of the ship cutting through air and not tipping backward.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Those line are very similar to the racing yacht America

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”