Revell 1/72 Pt 109

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
Stikpusher

Re: Revell 1/72 Pt 109

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I remember building the large scale PT-109 with battery operated motor back in the 70s. Came with figures including the gunner. Anybody remember that kit? Looking good, Lyle!
Sounds like the Lindberg 1/32 scale PT... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:I remember building the large scale PT-109 with battery operated motor back in the 70s. Came with figures including the gunner. Anybody remember that kit? Looking good, Lyle!
Sounds like the Lindberg 1/32 scale PT... :hmm:
Honestly, I don't recall the make but it could very well may be.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Way to go Lyle, but I agree with Carlos. Time to get that bad boy painted. I spent all of New Year's day sleeping till noon (I went o bed at 3:00AM) and been catching up on my Forums all day. Soon I'll be back to the bench.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Mark! Still have a dozen or so pieces to add. Mostly railings around the gun mounts, etc. I’m not adding the props, shafts and rudders until the last.

I hope I have enough paint. Looks like I may be scraping a couple of jars. I do not want heavy coats that will hide all that delicate shading effort!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, got some paint on this rascal. Moderately satisfied. Sort of Extra Medium level of okie-dokie. Cleaned the airbrush and managed to do something to the air valve. I was able to get it working to the point I could use it. May switch it out with a spare.

Anyway, per orders, here you go. I have no idea what to do with the topside to weather it properly, so feel free to through out suggestions.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I know your standards are high, but my eyes see a great job well done!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks. Good to know it didn't put your eyes out! :giggles: As it cures out more, the sides look alright. Again, topside is in need of something. A wash? Some dot filtering?
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

My first thought was, “the top side just needs to cure!” Honestly I feel you about wanting to create a weathering solution but I always always always treat the first color coat with respect. This comes not from within me but as a lesson I learned from making a Pinewood Racer back in the day and rushing the “flames” I planned to add to the sides. I’m not suggesting you are making any mistake as you are merely contemplating what to do next, but I honestly am relating my response and why. There’s no critical thought; only an emotional reaction. Protect and let the paint cure. I always rest a full day before coming back to a project after a major event such as a first coat.

Celebrate with a hot toddy, dig into research, let the paint cure. Personally the next move would be to do a very careful (think Mustang Joe) polish with a microfiber cloth to remove any defects then another close inspection to make sure the surface looks good would be on the docket....

Shoot - apologies if this sounds like armchair advice. If you want to weather I would start with a water based wash but not a black one. A gray wash just slightly darker than your color coat. Avoid black with gray. These ships are monochrome. Think, um, Shades Of Gray without the bondage or whatever was going on there.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I think your observations are good ones.

I’m done for the day and the boat is drying, at least overnight. Hit the unpainted upper pieces with some gray primer and then a mic of two partial jars of Tamiya grays. I’ll have to get the numbers later. They were about empty. They were also heavily thinned...something I don’t do as I should. I will hit it with a dull coat tomorrow.

Dabbed some Hull Red on the bottom, is sure is brown looking. I think it will work though.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Enjoy your day! All the best!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”