Revell 1/72 Pt 109

Beginning August 1,2019 and ending who knows when....All things floaty sailing under the American flag.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Revell 1/72 Pt 109

Post by Floki »

So how's she looking after it's cured?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

To me, about the same. I'll get a pic or two after while.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This was the reason for the trip to HL yesterday whereupon the PT-6 was forced upon me. Needed/wanted some antique bronze. Found it in the craft paint section. Needed about 1 drop to do the props. I'll hit them with some clear coat on Monday.

She sat all day today and will sit tomorrow.

Monday will bring limited bench time, I suspect. We have the two youngest grand kinds. Teachers are back on Monday, but kids don't go until Tuesday. Their mommy is a teacher of special needs kids.

I hope to get the hull bottom painted on Monday and then figure out how to add a narrow oily, smudgy line at the water line. Thinking Tamiya Smoke with a few drops of clear green.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Lyle, you're doing some major quality work here! Beautiful work!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

May as well spill the beans. She is likely binned. I thought I was being careful, really.masked the water line, thought I had rubbed it down and all that. Thinned the hull brown pretty well. Pulled off the tape and it was a disaster. Red the length of the hull, up to the deck. Both sides. Then I started seeing things that came on the topside, seven or eight things...yes, I was being careful. No idea how all that happened, really. Then I discovered a prop was missing. I know it was in the box not too long ago.

It was oh so close to theproverbial “gnat’s eyelash of feeling the hammer. So far, I’ve kept everything and may go back to it.

That is all.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Pics? Maybe it’s not bad as you made sound. Sorry to hear your misfortune. Set it aside for now. Who knows maybe you’ll take another go at it to fix it.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Is it okay to add that I have been there? I still go there? I spent many hours on Kit X and then I hit the rocks and shoals. I think there is something in most if not all modeler DNA (okay I’ll limit this to myself) something in my DNA that can’t stand things past point C or D or page 3 of the instructions or whatever, and it is more than alright to stop or smash at any point. I hit this most recently with the wonderful Monogram jet whose sides refused to stay together. I need Tenex or a blow torch to hold that tough as nails shiny as a tortoise shell plastic in one piece! So yea, you could stop by the local store auto parts variety what have you and pick up Purple Power, and get a lidded bucket from the bucket variety store in your area and perform a paint stripping exercise... just to see if she is really a goner or just a paint bomb waiting to be stripped clean! All the best.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Three or four days later, maybe it is recoverable. I had serious thoughts of breaking it in half and mounting the bow upside down on a board. Anyway, I think I have an idea as to what happened with the paint.
1. a/b brush pressure too high
2. very impatient spraying - with the pressure up, too much paint was deposited
3. tape did not cover the top side. Did not think I needed to do that. I'm guessing that is where the bleeding happened.

I did scrub the sides down and got most of the red removed, but also the last coat of gray. Could be worse. I had sprayed a light coat of Testor's Dullcote and thought that would protect what was under from any reasonable cleaning attempts. I used Tamiya X-20A.

I still do not know how the heck I managed to make the topside look like a pass under a low bridge in high water, though. And if anyone has a extra prop in the spares bin, I'd gladly take it off your hands and pay you.

She is back in dry dock being repaired.
pictures?

This one amazes me. The top of the console is gone. That is even more strange to me.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

repairs being made. Still have to try and recreate the pieces on top of the console. Getting there.

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I'm glad you're back on this. This is eminently repairable and recoverable. All these are easy fixes; except maybe the top of the console, but that is just more practice for you. You got this Lyle! Don't give in!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Ships of the American Flag”