Bandai The Going Merry

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Floki
Elite Member

Bandai The Going Merry

Post by Floki »

My next build was going to be a Bandai Snowspeeder, then my amazing wife gave me this kit for are anniversary.
For those who don't know this is The Going Merry from the anime One Piece.

The Going Merry was the first ship of the Straw Hat Pirates that they sailed through the East Blue all the way to Water 7. It is a caravel class ship designed by Merry and given by Kaya to the Straw Hats as a reward for saving her. Over time, the ship came to be loved by the crew as a home and as a friend, so much so that she literally took on a life of her own and became just as much a part of the crew as any of them. Unfortunately, the Going Merry took an inordinate amount of damage during her "lifetime", being blown up, impaled, sliced up multiple times, and partially eaten by Wapol. Eventually, the Going Merry could no longer continue and after helping the Straw Hats escape Enies Lobby, it received a Viking funeral.

This kit depicts The Going Merry early in her life and comes with six of her crew.

I'll be starting her this weekend and I'll give some more info on her too. Might even think of building a water base for her
Last edited by Floki on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Re: Bandai The Going Merry

Post by LyleW »

Cool!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Subscribed!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wouh, this will be cool and unique and special build!

For me totally something new, never heard of this kit !

Will be really interesting to see how will you do the paint work, now we talk about "cartoonish" colors, totally different the normal color palettes we use!
And actually, how the build looks will be even as interesting!

Subscribed!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Kari I'm planning on really cartooning and pushing the colors this is going to be a big learning experience for me.
Odin's sons... Attack!
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Very cool! I'm super curious about what's in the box!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

mostrich wrote:Very cool! I'm super curious about what's in the box!
Later tonight I plan on posting sprue shots.
Odin's sons... Attack!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

no doubt you will hit a homerun.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Start off with the Crew of the Straw Hat Pirates

Captain Monkey D. Luffy
Luffy who has the ablitly to strech his limbs like rubber from eating the Gum Gum Devil Fruit is the Captain of the Straw Hat Pirates. Know for his Braveness but also his child like stupidity being amazed by the simplest of things. He will do anything for his friends and his Devil Fruit power makes him a strong fighter. Luffy's Goal is to find the One Piece, the treasure left behind by the greatest pirate of all time Gol D. Rodgers.

Roronoa Zoro
Zoro the first crewman to join Luffy is the combatant of the Straw Hat Pirates in charge of the safety of the ship and crew. When Luffy first met Zoro he was a bounty hunter bringing pirates to justice until he himself is sentenced to death. After Luffy rescues him he joins him on his adventure. Zoro is a master swordsman of what he calls three sword style and fights with a sword in each hand and gripping a third one in his teeth. Zoro's goal is to become the greatest swordsman in the world.

Nami
The navigator of the Straw Hat Pirates. When Luffy first met Nami she seemed like just a common thief. Come to find out she is a gifted navigator and her and her village are enslaved by a group of pirates led by Arlong the Saw. After finding out the truth Luffy confronted and defeated Arlong releasing the village from him. Nami is also the only other person that Luffy has let wear his trademark straw hat. Nami's goal is to be the first person to chart the entire world.

Usopp
The crews sniper and also able to make weapons and other useful things out of ordinary items. Luffy encountered Usopp in Syrup Village and help him defend it and Usopps very sick friend Kaya from the Black Cat Pirates. Afterwards to thank them Kaya gives them The Going Merry a proper ship so the Luffy can continue his dream and enter The Grand Line (the open ocean). Because of his mechanical abilities he has kept The Going Merry afloat long enough to get to a port many times. Usopp's goal is to just go out on a adventure and become hero but most importanly to have a heroic epic to come back home and tell to Kaya.

Sanji
The cook and a skilled fighter with his feet so not to injure his hands has earned him the nick name Black Leg. Sanji who goes by the moto of never refusing a hungry person be they friend or foe. When ever hes not cooking he always has a trademark cigarette hanging out of the side of his mouth. A ladies man and a hopeless romantic. Sanji's goal is to find the All Blue the spot where they say all oceans of the world meet and fish from all the oceans can be found.

Chopper
Chopper is the ships doctor and also a reindeer that ate the Hito Hito no Mi Devil Fruit that allows its user to transform into a human hybrid at will. He came from Drum Island where he learned how to be a doctor, and is the first member of the Straw Hats who was born on the Grand Line. His dream is to one day become a doctor capable of curing any disease and wants to travel all across the world specifically in the hopes of accomplishing this dream.

That's all the crew that comes with the kit. Their is three more so far just got to go watch for yourself

And to end here is all the sprues one of them is like the Dragon DS stuff
The sails and flags are really cool with amazing cloth texturing and the main sail is also transparent. The wood grain is also very nicely done and no two planks have the same wood grain.
Thanks for looking in!
Odin's sons... Attack!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thank you Clint introducing Captain Monkey D. Luffy, Roronoa Zoro, Nami (btw in Finnish Nami means sweetie), Usopp, Sanji and Chopper! Seeing the cigarrette in Sanjis hand, I guess the target group is not a too young audience ? :-)

The sprues look wonderful and in so many different colors! I wonder if that will cause some challenges in priming stage or not.

Very exciting project all in all Clint!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”