Time to upgrade? (Airbrush discussion)

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Time to upgrade? (Airbrush discussion)

Post by scorpiomikey »

Ive got a Iwita-Medea Neo CN Gravity. I love this airbrush, its my first airbrush, and apart from a few tiny operator errors, it does everything i want. Theres no surprises with it.
However, i would like to upgrade at some point. Something with a few more options for parts and service, something that feels a little better in hand etc.
Id be interested to see mini reviews of your primary airbrushes to help me make a decision on my next brush. At this stage, no budget, once i know what im looking for ill figure out money.
Thanks for your input guys.

Oh and just so you guys know, i wont just be using this for models, I use it for art as well.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Time to upgrade? (Airbrush discussion)

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

As much as I would like to help you, I use very basic AB's.

I have a Badger 350 (single action, external mix), one of those "my first" AB type. But it is my primary AB. Since I have a good compressor I can do a lot of stuf with that AB. Everything except thin lines, free hand camo and motteling. For that I use a Badger 200 (single action, internal mix). That is also a very simple AB but works for me. I just set it up to do fine lines and can do motteling and free hand camo with that one.

Here are some examples:

My main advice would be: if have not got one already, invest in a good (silent) compressor. Having a steady flow of dry air (add a water trap!) improves all aspects of airbrushing.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I have the Iwata Neo as well and love it. My other is a Iwata HP-C+ (Double action). It's also a great airbrush.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I have three...I don't know why. Two Badgers - the 155 and the 105 and an Iwata HP-CS I bought on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I find myself using the Badger 105 Patriot a lot. Can't get comfortable with the Iwata yet.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

LyleW wrote:...Can't get comfortable with the Iwata yet.
Send it over, Lyle! Always wanted to try something else than my Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes! :twisted:

Indeed I am very happy with my H&S Evolution 2n1, coming with a 0.4 and 0.2mm nozzle. I use this airbrush for so many years (10? 20?) I cannot remember. H&S is fantastic value for money and maybe the most easy airbrushes to clean after use.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Right. Go wait by the mailbox! Take some snacks. :P
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Did someone say snacks??
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

I use a Thayer Chandler (made by Badger I believe) double action gravity feed brush. I like it because you only need one needle for everything and they're fairly inexpensive (about $100 give or take). I also have a Testor's Aztec that's never even been out of the box. This is one of those love it or hate it brushes. I'm still hesitant to try it but I've seen others have good results with them. Perhaps a whirl someday.

Don't even get me started on compressors.....cough cough (Silentaire)....cough cough (garbage)....cough cough (lousy customer service)....

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley

Return to “Modeling Discussion”