Choosing a First Kit

Need a suggestion to bet back into the hobby?
Stikpusher

Re: Choosing a First Kit

Post by Stikpusher »

Funny that this thread came back up. A bunch of guys from our AMPS & IPMS Chapters went on a bus tour of military museums in Europe in July. On a whim they all decided to have a build contest using the Airfix starter kits with glue and paints (and a few other rules), during the bus travel portion of their tour. The group opinion was that while the kits themselves were perfectly fine, the accompanying glue and especially the paints were sub par. The joke was that giving one of these sets to a kid as a first time kit and expecting that kid to become a modeler after as a result of such a gift would have the opposite effect.... :giggles:

Now here is the funny part, both local shops are now carrying those kits as a result of that trip and build... :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

This was one of the first threads I read when I joined SPA Modeler in February 2017. Simplicity (low parts count) and ease of assembly were my takeaways here: quarter scale also seemed to be favored (Borg's advice about dexterity applies) as well. I feel that this thread and in a much larger sense all of SPA Modeler is about freedom of subject choice. I also liked and still consider the Pegasus line brought to attention here by Carlos very much.

I just read a few days ago that fellow member Mustang's son who is 13 built a snap together truck, and Bolleken has also showcased an aircraft build by his son, and I expect more such builds from other members exist within the forum pages. Seeing their builds helps me to rediscover what lead me to the hobby in the first place. I feel reconnected to the source of my passion whenever I see a new builder of any age (or someone rekindling their passion) put their work out there.

Finally, yes, I would add the smallest caveat to this particular thread, it would be helpful I think to have a simple list of kits for starting builders stickied at the top of this thread. Just a thought due to a need to list... I like lists a lot. A good list is a one stop spot for ideas.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Nice idea Speed.
So, you guys think we can put together a list of "noob" kits? Kits ideal for the first timer whos not sure if they want to get into the hobby or not.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Beginner Scale Models
Aircraft & Armor
September 7, 2017

Part I: Aircraft

Airfix

1/72 Paul Bolton Defiant
1/72 AGM26 Zero Fighter
1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Pr.XIX
1/72 Grumman F4 F-4 Wildcat
1/72 Me Bf 109 E-4
1/72 Me Bf 109 G-6
1/72 Spitfire Mk I.X
1/48 Curtis P-40B Warhawk
1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I Tropical
1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I
1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb

Hobby Boss

1/72 Grumman F6-F5 Hellcat
1/72 Mig-3
1/72 Mig-15
1/72 Rafale
1/72 Sea Hawk

Revell of Germany

1/72 P-47M
1/72 F-16MU
1/72 Gripen
1/72 Horten GO 229
1/48 Rafale

Revel of U.S.A.

1/48 F/A-18 E
1/48 F-15 E

Tamiya

1/72 P-47D Thunderbolt
1/72 Bf 109E-4/7 Trop
1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb
1/48 A6M21 Zero
1/48 A6M3 Type 32 Zero
1/48 Hawker Harrier FRS 1
1/48 Fw 190 A-3
1/48 P-51B Mustang
1/48 P-51D Mustang
1/48 Bf 109E-4/7 Trop
1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb

Part II: Armor

Tamiya

1/48 Universal Carrier Mk II
1/35 M113 A2 APC
1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog
1/35 Panzer II ausf F/G
1/35 T-34/76 1942
1/35 T-34/76 1943
1/35 T-34/76 ChTZ
1/35 T-34/85
1/35 M4A3 75mm
1/35 M4A3 105mm
Last edited by speedgraflex on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Wow, nice work man. Im not sure how to go about making a stickied post, i think one of the mods has to do it.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

scorpiomikey wrote:Wow, nice work man. Im not sure how to go about making a stickied post, i think one of the mods has to do it.
Huh? Oh, yeah, done. :lashed:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hullo, hullo, and thank you, sir! I made the list thinking specifically that it would be a starting point so please feel free to edit this as a work in progress. I have to add the retro ideas as well as more armor. Also I was going to mention pricing as of this month and year. What I found is that Tamiya makes 1/48 aircraft and armor kits that sell online for $20 USD or less. The Zero Fighters prices are under $17 USD.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

And those old Tamiya 1/48 Zeros are great beginner kits. At least the A6M2 and A6M2-N. Their older A6M3 and A6M5C are a bit more advanced with better cockpits and full engines, and a few ground figures to boot.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I was hoping you would weigh in on these Tamiya gems, Carlos, truly you are absolutely right. I was also researching a K.I.S.S. P-51 in 1/48. I have seen the Monogram build into Tamiya killer status, but only with some modifications... but wow, what results from a Seventies era kit in your hands is pretty phenomenal. Just not for the beginner. I actually feel pretty good about the list but still need to research Airfix and Dragon armor. It seems as though there are good beginner kits in their stables. I was also going to add Science Fiction kits as well for Buckaroo Bandai's Fabulous Star Wars kits. What is missing?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I've built a few of the Hobbyboss 1/72 'Easybuild' kits now and they're really nice kits for a beginner.

I'd also recommend the 1/48 Tamiya P-51D and the Airfix 1/72 Spitifre mk.IX - tow of the nicest kits I've ever built.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Kit Recommendations”