Comparison Study :Tamiya Sdkfz 222 Eastern Front

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
bitbite
Advanced Member
Location: The Queen Anne's Revenge, blockading Charleston Harbor

Comparison Study :Tamiya Sdkfz 222 Eastern Front

Post by bitbite »

Here we have two builds of the same model. Both are purposely "out of the box" builds. I built the first one circa 1984 when I was 17.

Here's the old one . . . or what's left of it. It should be noted that the dusty effect was not applied by me but rather is the result of 35 years of natural dust accumulation. The only weathering I added to it was a few splashes of Tamiya Dark Earth. Also iit's all brush painted. Didn't own an airbrush back then.
:giggles:

And here's the one I just finished. Same kit, although they added a metal barre, photo etched anti-grenade screens, and piece of string to make a tow rope to it.

Who did it better? :quotes:
Last edited by bitbite on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stikpusher

Re: Comparison Study :Tamiya Sdkfz 222 Eastern Front

Post by Stikpusher »

Well the ‘84 kit does have character... :hmm: and that natural weathering adds more... but obviously you new work has more skills involved... must have been the secret advisor... :whistle:

Great finish my friend...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

This is really cool to compare two, identical builds, but with so many years in between!

Both builds are very good!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looks great to me, also this Tamiya kit still stands out as being a great 222 despite it's age
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I'd have to say they were both good builds - but obviously the latter one is much better. Really nicely done!

What a great idea!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Impressive work on both I'd say. Your experience and improved skill shows in the later build though.

This would be an interesting Thread and/or Group Build idea: Then and Now. Build a model that you had already built as a kid or as an adult when you first started (whatever you might still have or have pics of) and compare the two. It would be a great study on how far we'd all come as modelers.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:
This would be an interesting Thread and/or Group Build idea: Then and Now. Build a model that you had already built as a kid or as an adult when you first started (whatever you might still have or have pics of) and compare the two. It would be a great study on how far we'd all come as modelers.
:idea: :!: :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
bitbite
Advanced Member
Location: The Queen Anne's Revenge, blockading Charleston Harbor

Post by bitbite »

I've still got a Tamiya Panther and Jagdpanther sitting around from the same time I built the old 222.So I'm down with King Dog'idea.

I often wonder why these are my only remaining models from back the. I had so many. :hmm:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, I have only a handful of survivors left from that part of my life.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Not me. I have almost all my models from my childhood. I can only think of about seven to nine models that were broken beyond redemption and at least half of them have been replaced. Still, I'd love to know who else has models from their childhood/early building years to see if this is a viable idea.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”