The 'here we go again thread'... (1/48 Tornado GR.1)

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
Stuart
Elite Member

The 'here we go again thread'... (1/48 Tornado GR.1)

Post by Stuart »

Well it would seem that this GB is collecting unfinished/unstarted build threads from yours truly, so here's another one - hopefully resulting in a finished build!

I'm building this - mainly as a tribute to the fact that these fine aircraft were retired from service this year to make way for the F-35... To my mind it has some very big shoes to fill.

Currently I'm working on the cockpit and seats, and the pilots. - I'll post up some photo's later.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Re: The 'here we go again thread'... (1/48 Tornado GR.1)

Post by Stikpusher »

Maybe I spoke to soon for no new 1/48 jets for you... :hmm:

The Tornado is an awesome aircraft. I can see the F-35 fulfilling some of the same roles of the Tornado, but not all. Each having its own strengths and weaknesses when compared to the other.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

No I'm fully up on building in both scales - I enjoy both for differing reasons!

Don't get me wrong, I'm really starting to warm to the F-35 since its started coming into service over here, but I can't help thinking we retired the GR.4s a few years too early. But then I suppose we just don't have the budget we used too. I do think the Lightning II will serve us well, I just wish we had more of them.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

At our new home in AZ I’m seeing plenty of F-35s every day there. Mostly because the main training base for the type, Luke AFB, is a short distance away. I am quickly warming to the type now that I see them out flying, and flying a LOT. Luke used to train Bundesluftwaffe F-104 aviators. And their Tornado drivers were trained at Holloman or Cannon AFB in New Mexico, a few hundred miles east. I saw a few of those Tornadoes at local air shows. Kinda funny to see the dark Luftwaffe aircraft with a New Mexico Native American insignia shield on the tail. At my last visit to a popular BBQ eatery near Luke, there were a bunch of Japanese personnel in uniform enjoying some time off base and a good American meal.

I’m glad to hear that you’re still building 1/48 Stuart. Seems like this place is mostly 1/72 and 1/32 lately....
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:popcorn: I love the Tornado! I agree that they retired them a year or two to early.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Medicman71 wrote::popcorn: I love the Tornado! I agree that they retired them a year or two to early.
Glad to hear it Mike!

I'm torn at the moment between my favorite wrap-a-round Green Grey camo from RAF Germany or Gulf war Pink (which I'm not overly fond off but an important part of the aircraft's history) :hmm:
Stikpusher wrote:At our new home in AZ I’m seeing plenty of F-35s every day there. Mostly because the main training base for the type, Luke AFB, is a short distance away. I am quickly warming to the type now that I see them out flying, and flying a LOT. Luke used to train Bundesluftwaffe F-104 aviators. And their Tornado drivers were trained at Holloman or Cannon AFB in New Mexico, a few hundred miles east. I saw a few of those Tornadoes at local air shows. Kinda funny to see the dark Luftwaffe aircraft with a New Mexico Native American insignia shield on the tail. At my last visit to a popular BBQ eatery near Luke, there were a bunch of Japanese personnel in uniform enjoying some time off base and a good American meal.

I’m glad to hear that you’re still building 1/48 Stuart. Seems like this place is mostly 1/72 and 1/32 lately....
Sounds like you saw some pretty good aircraft action there Carlos - I wished I lived somewhere more active - I'm really looking forward to seeing an F-35 in the flesh! It was great to see those F-15Es and Ospreys in Wales. What were the Japanese guys flying?

Yes I'm still building 1/48 - Its always been something I want to get into as I've said before, but I'll still build 1/72 as well - a lot of the projects I want to do will be in that scale if for no other reason than space! I do feel like I've broken myself of being locked into one scale though - I'll build anything!

I do fancy building some of these new Airfix 1/48 British jets though - the new Hunter looks fab!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I did some work on the cockpit over the weekend, it was pretty basic but I added the old Airwaves PE set. I'm not very well versed in modern cockpits but it doesn't look too bad!

I will be adding the pilots..

And I've been working on the flying surfaces...

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The cockpit is coming along fine Stuart. The Airwaves PE definitely helps. I’d say do an image search for Tornado cockpits, and have a look at the bang seats. Those get pretty busy colorwise.

Oh and the Japanese guys are training on F-35s. They are also involved in the JSF program.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Stik, The seats are still a work in progress.

Ah cool - it doesn't surprise me that Japan is getting the Lightning. A, B or C?

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I think that the Japanese are getting the A & B versions. Their new “helicopter carriers” are having the flight decks built to withstand the jet blast & heat. The Chinese are not liking that at all.

FLSM

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”