1/32 Henschel Hs 129B-2 Zoukei-mura

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Henschel Hs 129B-2 Zoukei-mura

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I agree with Carlos with clear parts. Such a shame to hide the pistons when they’re going to be closed off.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Of the three approaches - outside only detailing (older kits), overly engineered detailing (current crop) and inside-out detailing (ZM’s approach) - not one is clearly superior. There’s an element of traditional artist study at work here. For many years an artist’s education was not considered complete until a real human skeleton was covered first by clay musculature then by skin. It was this understanding of the interior of human anatomy which was considered the final lesson for an artist to obtain a degree. I see many of our incredible builders here working a combination of each approach on one build. I personally believe that ZM is attempting a level of fidelity in understanding for the study of each aircraft. Their Concept Notes articulate their approach as being one of self-discovery over self-aggrandizing (boastful modeling, of which all forms should be stopped). Forgive me if this sounds as a defense. I merely am reasoning out what I think the major model building approaches are... and why they are. For me, that is most important. The Why.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

The company´s approach has always been to "educate" how things have been designed, and how things worked together to function.
ZM once had a poll among modellers if they would like to have the outer shell in clear plastic. The majority said yes.
Problem was, the same moulds are used to do the clear plastic parts as are the grey inner ones. So, the clear plastic isn´t really clear, but looks frosted. So, in my book, there is no gain, except you decide to use some (a lot!) of elbow grease to sand and polish the clear plastic shell.
On the Ki-45 sample I also got the outer shell parts are given twice: in clear, and in grey plastic. Way to go for me at least. It is much easier to work the grey parts than the clear ones.
But have a look at the Concept Note books, or the assembly manuals: it´s a tutorial way of doing an aircraft. Trying to recreate a smaller version of the real aircraft in kit form. Making it possible to have a "look" beneath the skin of an aircraft, what is normally impossible. It´s the President´s dream, and most interesting for me.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Yes. That is definitely the philosophy behind the ZM approach. Their tooling is first rate. Tops. I am thinking about the 1/72 Horten!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Wow this is a beautiful kit. If they could shrink this and the Uhu down to 1/48 I would be so happy. I'm more on opening up panels or doing a cutaway build to show off internals other than a clear shell but I could see why some would like to have the option.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I get the reasoning and I appreciate the detail. But it is sad that most of that detail will never be seen once assembled. We were commenting on the Miniart late model M3 Lee kits for the same reason. A complete interior of which only portions of are barely visible due to the late model version having the large hull side hatches deleted.

I suppose that these types of kits are natural for cutaway displays... :hmm:

Modeling skills required... :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For a little inspiration...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Beautiful shot, Carlos. This airframe easily could have been saved for a museum. :sad:
I am amazed by the uniform colour of the exhaust. Looks in just one shade of rust colour.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’ll bet that this particular aircraft was salvaged, repaired, and sent back to either the UK or US for intel analysis purposes. It looks restorable to flyable condition. But it’s fate after that...

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

IIRC at least one Henschel was brought back to the States. But then?
Despite no surviving airframe exists I am amazed about the stunning detail I see in the kit! Must be a heavy workload of research.

Return to “Member Reviews”