LyleW's C-54

Primarily the Revell of Germany C-54 Skymaster in 1/72 scale. But, any c-54 is welcome. Come one, come all.

Date: February 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. But, let's just have some fun and build this classic.
LyleW
Admin

LyleW's C-54

Post by LyleW »

And, so it begins.

I'm killing it so far! Haven't lost anything yet. I am yet amazed at another kit that has almost 15-16 steps for an interior that simply cannot be seen to any degree of detail. If it had clear body panels, that would be one thing.

I also am trying on this to paint just what is in the next step or two . . . not sure how that will work, though. A lot of one-drop, clean the brush type of stuff.

Anyway, it is February 1, 2020 - Let's kick this pig and get 'er going...…...Yee Hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Re: LyleW's C-54

Post by Stikpusher »

Careful what you say here... you may anger and tempt the carpet monster... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Ha! I laugh heartily into the face on danger!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looks excellent so far Lyle! It might be awhile before I get to mine; I have a few others to finish first. Keep it coming man!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Not to mess with your Zen moment, but could you simply rattle can grey or airbrush grey the cockpit, then pick out any smallish details with a brush after that?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Cool - makes me want to start mine. Debating between that and a 1:144 Concorde....hmmm
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:Not to mess with your Zen moment, but could you simply rattle can grey or airbrush grey the cockpit, then pick out any smallish details with a brush after that?
Yes, I could, I suppose. Given how I’m approaching this, for now anyway, the only gray is the cockpit floor which won’t be seen. There are a lot of tiny parts all with different colors. So.....I’m using the hairy sticks. I am sure that I’ll break out the a/b soon enough.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

keavdog wrote:Cool - makes me want to start mine. Debating between that and a 1:144 Concorde....hmmm
You know what my vote is..... :whistle:
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

That detail of the cockpit looks really good, but as you said, will anything be visible when the fuselage has been closed up? :hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

There is a lot, if not all, that cannot be seen. Oh well...…….

And for those with the Revell Germany kit, be careful with the IP part, part # N5 (by the way, the sprues are quite clearly labeled and the instructions give the sprue letter and number...nice)

Hard to see, but inside those circles are the VERY weak joints of the consol to the IP....maybe .5mm or less on each side. There was also a lot of flash on that portion of the part. one side came loose.

Return to “C-54 Skymaster”