Wounds from the bench

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

Wounds from the bench

Post by LyleW »

A new film starring:
X. Acto - A sharp wit, cutting edge personality, multi-talented
C. A. Glue - a Sticky guy to work with, but holds on to a role!

Well, you can guess where this is going....What damage have you done to yourself at the bench. Huh? JimD? Like most, I've nicked and inflicted small cuts here and there. My "biggest" was in building the room. Doing insulation, using a box knife, it slipped from my grip, went about 1/2 inch in my shin just below the knee and took 4 stitches to close up.

Whose next?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
DoogsATX
Advanced Member

Re: Wounds from the bench

Post by DoogsATX »

When I was building as a kid, I decided I wanted to do one of those big Star Wars figures. You know, the PVC/vinyl/whatever kind?

Anyway, these needed all kinds of trimming not unlike resin. And I basically had access to scissors or an xacto knife.

Suffice to say, in the cutting, the xacto slipped and stabbed right into my left index finger just behind the knuckle. And when I say stabbed...as in, I took my hand away in shock, and the knife stayed in friggin' place, it was in that deep. Of course when I pulled it out it started to gush like a stuck pig. Had to go to an emergency clinic where they made sure I hadn't cut anything critical, then closed it up with super glue.
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Mine rolled of the bench and just as luck would have it landed right in my thigh. Oh modeling
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I have had very little modeling accidents, some small cut or fingernails sanded off (that is what you get with vacform build). My biggest DIY accident was when I used a saw on a stair and somehow managed to saw into the inside of my leg. I went to the doctor for that one....
ImageImageImageImageImage
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

I've reached the point where if I haven't cut, burned or pinched some part of myself, then I must not be building it right.

Same can be true for working around the house. If I'm not bleeding, I'm not working hard enough... :D

Ironically, I never hurt myself with power tools. Just manual stuff, Guess I'm my own worst enemy...
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
DoogsATX
Advanced Member

Post by DoogsATX »

lawman56 wrote: Ironically, I never hurt myself with power tools. Just manual stuff, Guess I'm my own worst enemy...
Heh...me either! Closest I've ever come was in shop class in junior high, when I put my hand in the wrong place as a radial arm saw was winding down. Nicked my finger, but it was a band-aid job if that. A second earlier and it would have been a lot worse.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

JimD wrote:Though, I super-glued the Ju88 fuselage to my palm. I took a picture, but was too embarrassed to share it. :oops:
Care to show it now? ROFL!!!!! I dare ya! I'll even double dog dare ya! ROFL
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

DoogsATX wrote: Heh...me either! Closest I've ever come was in shop class in junior high, when I put my hand in the wrong place as a radial arm saw was winding down. Nicked my finger, but it was a band-aid job if that. A second earlier and it would have been a lot worse.
Funny, isn't it? I survived my stupid teenage years, (think "hey, y'all, watch this"), 9 years in the Army, to include 2 combat tours, a heart attack and open heart surgery, yet I've done more damage to myself with a friggin xacto knife. :lol:
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

All I have are the small cuts from Xacto knives.

I've hurt myself (or have been hurt by patients) more on the job than anywhere else. We won't get into the list of injuries there.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Free Discussion”