A Perfect Storm: Hawker Tempest Mk.V in 1:32

I believe all things Hawker, prop or jet....This GB is kindly being moderated by Mr. John Eaton (jeaton01)
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: A Perfect Storm: Hawker Tempest Mk.V in 1:32

Post by Duke Maddog »

That is great news. Yes, it does help to be more educated about the subject, although you appear to know a bit more than you thought you did. I trust that you will do an excellent job regardless.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I know what you mean about not knowing anything prior to starting a build. Sometimes you just gotta jump in and expect to learn as you go. That is what I am doing with my Tempest build. Interesting to see the molding compared to the rivet-festooned Special Hobby version. Looks like PCM left off the Fuel Port hatch on the top center of the fuselage just behind the engine compartment... same with the Special Hobby kit.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

You have to carry the fire.
I don't know how to.
Yes, you do.
Is the fire real? The fire?
Yes it is.
Where is it? I don't know where it is.
Yes you do. It's inside you. It always was there. I can see it.

Cormac McCarthy, The Road

I just don’t feel the fire for this one, yet. Mostly because I like building WWI aircraft at the moment, and I ordered a Spitfire Mk VC “Yankee” kit which is also a short run low pressure Sword Plastic kit and I feel it is better. I need to clear the cobwebs, let the past rest, find the fire within and keep it stoked, for as long as I can. This is not a dead end. It is not. I just don’t feel the fire yet. Adesso.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce that is a perfect expression for what I feel as well. I am certainly feeling the fire for all my latest projects so I understand that you need time to stoke that fire within you to do this right. Take your time, I'll certainly be here to watch you take this up when the fire is good and hot. Meanwhile, I intend to thoroughly enjoy your latest WWI builds. Your threads are always a thrill to watch.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

RAF IN GERMANY !! Okay, I’m feeling some heat.

Slow boat, though. Fokker first.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well that scheme will make the exterior finish a bit more simple than the wartime camo. Just a correction to the color plate labeling though- post WWII, the RAF adapted a new overall color scheme of “high speed silver”, which was not bare or natural metal, but was “aluminium lacquer” in RAF nomenclature. So no need for a multi tone panel effect if you go down that path.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you so much Carlos! I wonder why the profile is incorrectly labeled and painted? I would have thought PCM would feature well researched documentation. Your “Rules of Modeling” apply: Trust original photographs and documents first. All else are a distant second option.

I like the scheme regardless. I was going to pick a quarter scale kit as a paint mule.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Artistic license versus research. I presume the artist saw a photo of the aircraft and presumed that it was NMF and not lacquered, being unaware of the RAF paint. High Speed Silver continued in use on the undersides of RAF aircraft once camouflage paint was reintroduced during the 1950’s up until around 1970 or so when a light gray was introduced to replace the silver.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Stik your depth and breadth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me Stikipedia right there. :bow:
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

He cheats. You know he looks this stuff up before posting it. :giggles: :tease:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “The Storms of the Hawkerlypse”