1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk. I

I believe all things Hawker, prop or jet....This GB is kindly being moderated by Mr. John Eaton (jeaton01)
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk. I

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:You can also improvise landing light lenses using drops of gel CA over foil. Once they’ve dried, cut them out and the foil acts as the lens reflector.

Add a small piece of styrene strip in the right size to make up the missing portion of the retraction arm.
I used Gorilla Super glue to hold it in place. But... that's something I could do for a better hold. Time to make a little stretched sprue pieces. Yeah, CA gel did come to mind but didn't have any on hand.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Use the big silver one! That would look cool!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looks like I had a bout of Happy Accidents. The samples of landing lights on wings dries flat. Nope. Not gonna work. However, this will...

How was it made? Heh... tip of Elmer's glue bottle cap when glue settles on top after closing it up. Just don't wipe it clean. Let it dry overnight. That little white tip on cap forms it....

Results prior to painting the "lens"....

But, those samples for lenses didn't go to waste. No sir. On the underside of fuselage is missing a minor detail. There is suppose to be another lens just behind the carburetor. Since they all dried flat, I used one and glued it in place and painted it silver...

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

She is done! I tried using thread to create wire from fuselage to tail but it gave me such a fight. So, grey stretched sprue (unpainted) worked a lot better. Don't ask why I thought to use thread... :bag:

The "GZ-B" is completely all wrong... :scream: :scream: :scream:

If you look at the box cover, it's suppose to be small towards the rear portion of the fuselage and large by the canopy. Nope... all the same size. The letter G & B actually touch each other along the top of fuselage. Screw it. This was an old Airfix kit and that's the decals the kit came with.

I enjoyed the build even though it wasn't perfect; but I'm glad I was able to put a little effort to add those minor missing details. I definitely do want to get the newer Airfix Hawker Hurricane kit.

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Well done. Score another one for the Hawkerlypse! Don't forget to post a picture in the finished build thread.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yeah...gotta do that later tonight. :whistle:

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Very nice job! I like it!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man that looks awesome!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice finish Tom! The paint looks really good!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “The Storms of the Hawkerlypse”