Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

I believe all things Hawker, prop or jet....This GB is kindly being moderated by Mr. John Eaton (jeaton01)
jeaton01
Elite Member

Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

Post by jeaton01 »

Here's the box art and the sprues, I'm looking forward to this one. I will be making separate posts for the ground equipment so this GB doesn't get too unfocused. I really like the quality of the clear parts.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Following!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice! Can't wait to see the build.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man that’s a kit that I wanted and can no longer be found. :headslap: Gonna live vicariously here watching you build it.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I've made a pretty good start on the Hurricane and I'm enjoying the build. I read a few build reviews and decided to build the model in an order different from the instructions. They call for building the internal structure sort of in the air, and when people did that they had trouble later on with the spars not fitting where they should in the wings, and that caused fit problems at the wing roots. This kit is made very accurately and there is not much tolerance for misalignment. I decided to use the wing for a jig, and assemble the spars to it first, then add the internal fuselage framing. Even so, there were two areas that had to be shaved down on the front spar in order to get the upper and lower wings to come together right. Where and how much material to remove was not difficult to figure out.

Here just the front spar is glued to the lower wing. You can see where material has been removed in the area of the gun bay and outer gear bays on the left wing.

Fit of the upper wing is good now.

Both sides of the main spar have been modified in the same manner as the left side was, and the rear spar and gun bay ribs are installed. The addition of the rear spar and the gun bay ribs did not cause any fit issues. The left longeron framework is just sitting in place and will not be glued to the spars until the cockpit parts are all installed.

The gun bay cover area of both wings was cut out, there are replacement covers in the kit so there is no need to try to preserve the original wing material. I used a dremel tool with a burr to rough out the cut and finished up with files and a sharp #11 blade. There are very fine lines to work up to and the new wing cover is a press fit.

More cockpit assembly. In using this order of build you will have to install a pressure tank and some piping from the wheel bay opening but it's not too hard. I really like the cockpit detail. The longerons are still not glued to the spars.

Eduard Sutton harness was used.

Fit looks like it is going to be pretty good. The wing fits under the fuselage for the first half of the chord, and between the fuselage halves on the back half.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Lov.ely work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, Lyle. Here's the instrument panel, I used the kit decal for it and think it looks pretty good.

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Stikpusher wrote:Man that’s a kit that I wanted and can no longer be found. :headslap: Gonna live vicariously here watching you build it.
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be available anymore, Carlos. You can buy all the pieces separately, but that costs twice as much. I bought it as soon as it was available.

Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Very nice work! Looks like it's not giving you much trouble.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “The Storms of the Hawkerlypse”