Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

I believe all things Hawker, prop or jet....This GB is kindly being moderated by Mr. John Eaton (jeaton01)
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice work!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, John and Mike.

I got some Humbrol 81 enamel in from Sprue Bros, so there is some progress on the Albion refueler that came with the Hurricane Ready for Battle set. I have the closed door option white glued to mask for painting, but I will put the open doors on it for display as there is some nice detail in that compartment. There is a lot of drive train detail, all of which Airfix says to paint black, except for the differential and rear axle. I suppose I can leave the engine hood loose to show the engine, but it also comes with two hoods, one of which has the left side hinged up. This is a nice kit.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

More progress on the Albion fuel tru, er, lorry. That bumper on the front was very fiddley, and I need to work a little more on the fit of the left hood side panel. The hood is just sitting there loose and the left door is stuck on with a little white glue to aid in masking for painting. Three or four parts all have to go together at once on the front of the "vehicle".

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Actually, I do believe that the term used by the RAF for such a machine was “bowser”. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

You're quite right, Carlos. I did get the hood sorted out OK tonight, and the fuel booms and hoses installed.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You mean the bonnet on the bowser? :tease:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Got me again :headslap:

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Now that I'm over the headache from that headslap I gave myself earlier here's some pictures of the completed Albion fueler. This thing has a very large cab, I think you could have a party in there.

Airfix provided both closed and open doors for the fuel compartment and the left, OK, off side cab door. I decided to have the cab door open and to leave off the fuel compartment door because of the picture I posted earlier. As Carlos noted that was a colourised picture, but the color inside the fuel compartment look authentic to me, an ivory color that may have started out white. I mixed a little yellow with flat white for that effect. The decals for the gauges really worked well. I did try to give it a bit of a faded and dusty look.

The fuel booms can be posed in alternate positions, but they would not be movable given the way the parts are designed. I think they could be movable if some drilling and pinning of the connecting hoses was done, or if flexible hoses were used from the boom into the fuel compartment. Probably would be easier if you could get more booms from Airfix and use alternates for the display you want to set up.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

John, that is just plain ol’ we’ll done! I really like your work. There was an Air Warriorsepisode on the Hurricane recently. Quite a history.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:that: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “The Storms of the Hawkerlypse”