Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

I believe all things Hawker, prop or jet....This GB is kindly being moderated by Mr. John Eaton (jeaton01)
Paul
Addicted Member

Re: Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

Post by Paul »

Awesome, as always, John
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, Lyle, Blacksheep, and Paul. For once I achieved something of a worn look. I built the little service trailers for oil, guns, and the accumulator, and now I'm working on the Bedford lorrie that came with the set. After that I get to the really hard part, all the figures that came with it.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Did you use wire for the hose and cables of those carts? I can’t get the kit supplied vinyl tubing to drape in such a natural manner on my ProModeler carts.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Carlos, the battery cart is an insulated stranded wire from an R/C servo lead. I need to work on it a bit more. Airfix supplied a plastic tube and I inserted a brass tube through it to get it to hold it's shape. That's how Tamiya had it set up on the airfield fuel truck.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

John!

For your Albion Three Point Fueler are you adding the rear doors? You can clearly see there are instructions on the left interior door panel. The illustration inside the rear door are instructions for priming and running a Coventry Climax pump. I thought the interior was more green khaki, called “Eau de Nil?” What do I know?

Adding “RAF?”

Not sure if the decals include this, uh, detail. Do they?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I put all the decals on that came with it, Bruce. Thanks for the photo. I just went by the colorized photo because I thought it would make the innards more visible. I've left the doors off for now but they are all painted so if I want them on for a scene I can put them on. If I had a good photo of the instruction panel I would make a decal for it, and if I could find pictures that were circa BoB I might like to add a few more markings, it is a little plain in that way.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

There is also a rigging line on each one of the booms as well.

I looked for a diagram you could use to downsize for a scale diagram. No luck, alas.

Also the logo for Albion is a distinctive one on the radiator.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

So that's what that post on the boom is for! Thanks. Just when I thought I was done with rigging for awhile. It does look like the pump compartment is a lot lighter in color than the outside.

Airfix did include the Albion logo embossed on the radiator tank, Bruce, but my guess is it was not painted, nor was the shell polished metal on the camouflaged truck. OK, Bowser.

I've been working on the Bedford MWD and I have had a few issues, mostly with the proper location of parts. Everything fits well if it is in the right spot, but there are not any pins or other positive locating devices. When the cab floor is put in place it must be pushed hard up to the fenders that are molded to the frame. If that is not done, the front cab part which includes the firewall and steering wheel will not fit to the hood side panels and its proper position on the cab floor is unclear. Maybe it would be best to start by attaching the radiator and then the floor with white glue to allow later movement, then confirming that the firewall is set correctly. A test fit of the hood and side panels will be needed to confirm that all is well. The pictures in the instructions were not clear enough for me.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, Bruce!