Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

I believe all things Hawker, prop or jet....This GB is kindly being moderated by Mr. John Eaton (jeaton01)
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk I

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow that looks great! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I'm waiting for the Tamiya gloss clear to dry on the Hurricane so I started working on the Albion refueler truck that came with the kit. It's going together very well, well engineered and very detailed. Plastic is a bit soft like with the plane, of course, but very workable. Paints came with the kit, and I've never tried Humbrol acrylics, so I sprayed some 81 Olive Green on the major parts. Perhaps I did something wrong, but it wasn't that it wasn't thin enough. It went on well but dried grainy. Not good. Don't think I'll use any more of this paint. Has any one else tried it?

I did find a neat picture while I was trying to see if Airfix had the color right, but all I got was confused. RAF ground equipment colors are not well defined on the net. Lots of opinions. What else is new. I did find this picture and it looks similar to the Humbrol 81 on my parts, according to my wife.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, the only problem with that photo is that it has been computer colorized. Look at the title in the lower corner, that is often done by the folks who do that sort of thing. So, that is out for reference. But near as I can say, RAF colors on their equipment did change during the war. During the Battle of France/Battle of Britain time frame, the colors tended to match what the Army was using at the same time. Later in the war, Blue was phased in. During the North Africa campaign, again it looks like colors along the line of those in use by the Army in theater were used. So have fun with the paint.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I shoulda known! I'll just go with the Humbrol 81, but I'm getting it in enamel.

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The Hurricane is painted, decalled, and flat coated, but not yet weathered, here it is with two Classic Airframes fabric wing Mk I's. The one with 111 on the side was in the first squadron to fly Hurricanes, the other was in France before Dunkirk. So it is peacetime (or Phoney War), Battle of France, and Battle of Britain. The two to the right of the photo are in the B camouflage scheme, the one on the left is in the A scheme. I'm still waiting on paint before I go forward with the fuel truck and Bedford "lorrie" as the Brits insist on referring to "trucks".

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I like it.....them. All very nicely done
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That’s real purity!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, Lyle and John. Still waiting for paint.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looking sharp. The refueling truck looks like a big one. Nice 'cane collection. :shoutout:
Thanks,
John

Return to “The Storms of the Hawkerlypse”