Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1D Huey

April 1, 2021 through 12/31/2021 - Anything from the Vietnam Era, aircraft, helos, trucks, boats, tanks, artillery, figures, dioramas....if it walks, crawls, rolls, rattles, flies, hovers or goes "boom", it is in. Any scale.
Stikpusher

Re: Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1D Huey

Post by Stikpusher »

The US Army retired their Hueys around the turn of this century. But the Marines are still flying their updated Twin Hueys... with no replacement in sight! :shocked: That’s a pretty good long service life span! I’ll bet in civil aviation that they have at least another 50 years left to go!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

On rare occasions, I do hear the familiar sound of a wup, wup, wup.... so I knew it was a Huey.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:On rare occasions, I do hear the familiar sound of a wup, wup, wup.... so I knew it was a Huey.
It’s funny how on TV shows or in movies, for nearly every helicopter that you see on the screen, the Huey sound is dubbed in there. A few movies get it right, but not too high a percentage. Once upon a time it was the old Bell H-13 for all the dubbed chopper sounds.
Side note, years ago there were Hueys and Cobras, which sound nearly identical, flying out of a nearby Army Airfield. Whenever I would hear that wop wop wop sound, I’d always look up to see what it was flying, a snake or a slick.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yeah... especially a Jet Ranger sounding like a Huey... :bored:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The wop wop is one thing, but what always kills me is when the pilot throttles back when he's still five feet high in the hover. I still cringe and wait for the crash.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

We swapped our Hueys for NH-90's in 2015.
These birds were the sound of my childhood. Me and my sister were air-force brats, dad left when i was about 18months. But that wop-wop sound was the sound of safety for us.
Me and dad went to an airshow when i was about 16, there was a major accident down the road, the skies cleared and the display huey headed off to airlift people to the hospital.
And during the 2011 earthquakes hearing these birds hovering over the city made us all feel that little bit more safe.
They will always have a special place in a lot of peoples hearts.
I cant wait to see how this build goes.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

We still have some Bell 212s in RAF and ARMY service in the UK - that's sort of a Huey! (ish)

Great to see a UH-1 being built though, you can't really have a Vietnam GB without one!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The 212 is basicly the same as the UH-1N. It’s a Huey.

FLSM
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

jeaton01 wrote:The wop wop is one thing, but what always kills me is when the pilot throttles back when he's still five feet high in the hover. I still cringe and wait for the crash.
There's alot of inertia in a Huey rotor system. In the book Chickenhawk by Robert Mason he mentioned they would kill the throttle, pick the Huey up to a 3 foot hover, do a 360 degree turn and set it back down.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I'm really looking forward to this build for two reasons, 1.) I have this kit "in stock" and have wanted to see a WIP on it for a while now and 2.) The "Huey" is near and dear to my heart as I spent 8+ years as a UH-1H crewchief with around 900 hours of flight time + around 1-2 hours of "stick time". I have alot of fond and enjoyable memories on that ol' bird. Very forgiving and reliable as well as a beautiful aircraft. They still give rides in Georgia and at some of the air shows here and there. Still looking for one in Texas so I can take my family on one. I miss the ol' gal though and I miss flying. Best job of my entire life.

Below is a clipping from the "Stars & Stripes" paper in 1990 while I was at Ft. Hood.

Return to “Vietnam Era Group Build 2021”