Monogram 1/48 Hawker Harrier

I believe all things Hawker, prop or jet....This GB is kindly being moderated by Mr. John Eaton (jeaton01)
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Monogram 1/48 Hawker Harrier

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking awesome, Carlos!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Clint, Mike, and Stuart, thank you! Clint, only a small fraction of the Harrier fleet are two seaters. All the line units are single seaters. Only the initial training is done in the two seaters. From what I’ve read it’s a very challenging aircraft to fly, and initially only very experienced aviators were allowed into the squadrons. When that requirement was reduced, then the accident rates went up.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Kinda like flying a helicopter in jet form. Definitely a whole different beast to learn to fly in I imagine.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

In V/STOL mode it’s in a league of its own. In CTOL, it’s a fine light attack transonic aircraft. Hard to believe that they have five decades of front line service from these. Mr Camm’s final masterpiece.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I remember back in the day watching Harrier demos at airshows. Everyone thought that was the absolute coolest thing.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Stikpusher wrote:In V/STOL mode it’s in a league of its own. In CTOL, it’s a fine light attack transonic aircraft. Hard to believe that they have five decades of front line service from these. Mr Camm’s final masterpiece.
After reading your reply it hit me on how long the Harrier has been around. The Kestrel was an early 60's design which morphed into the Harrier. Which started in service in 1969
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looking good Carlos. quite a lot of detail in that old kit.
Medicman71 wrote:I remember back in the day watching Harrier demos at airshows. Everyone thought that was the absolute coolest thing.
I remember a bloody GR7/9 smacking into the road 200 yards in front of me whilst I was driving home :wow: I'll never forget the sight of the bastard thing appearing over the trees almost upside down and falling to earth...

... thank God the fireball went off to my side... :whiteflag:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Never seen a pane crash in person. Hopefully I never will. You should buy a lottery ticket Stuart with that sort of luck.

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Medicman71 wrote:I remember back in the day watching Harrier demos at airshows. Everyone thought that was the absolute coolest thing.
Saw them at Miramar Air Show a couple times. They'd hover right in front of the grand stands - super cool and crazy loud.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yup, they are loud. But then you have to think of the thrust to weight ratio required for the hover maneuvers... :hmm: I saw the A and B fly at the El Toro air show many times when that place was an active base.

So over the past few days I have been working on seam clean up. I used Tamiya Gray putty and wet sanding, a great combination.

I still need to scribe lost panel lines to replace detail lost while sanding.

And I built the wing...

of course I had to test fit the wing...

Nice snug fit! I’ll have to just watch alignment when I do glue it in place... that all on this one for this week...

FLSM

Return to “The Storms of the Hawkerlypse”